SCD-1 & SCD-777ES Sonically What's the Difference?

I own the Sony SCD-777ES. I have been told that the transports to both this and the SCD-1 are exactly alike. Therefore, am I missing something sonically by not owning the SCD-1, or is the $600-$800 price difference for the SCD-1 just simply so one can own the original "flagship" of the SACD line? Cosmetically they seem very different but that isn't of major concern to me.
128x128jcbach

Showing 2 responses by rex

The SCD-1 also has better stock feet than the SCD-777ES. It makes a slight difference.
I have a pro audio background, and every time I see someone calling a balanced out a "fake balanced out" I have to laugh. This is one of those tweaky audiophile distinctions that is lost on the rest of the world.

A balanced output simply means that there are two signals - the original and an inverted version. They share a common ground. The whole point of a balanced out is to allow for very long cable runs without introducing cable-induced noise, or losing big chunks of signal. So, a balanced output enables common mode rejection, and has high gain to support the long cable run.

The balanced outputs on the SCD-1 do this job just as they should. So how is that "fake?"

And yes, I know about an inverted signal derived from a "differential" split output versus an op-amped flip-flop. The fact is that it makes no difference regarding the purpose of a balanced out. Most pro audio gear simply flips the signal with an op-amp or similar inverter circuit.