Say a fella wants to build an SET monoblock based on the 300B..

Could you point him in the right direction or where to start. I see a kit on ebay but not sure if that's legit or not. I don't own the speakers yet and plan on building my own that would pair up well with the amp. Any help appreciated.  

Showing 6 responses by charles1dad

Hi Scott,
I’ve followed Bottlehead’s Paul Joppa on Audio Asylum (SET Topic)  for years and have always been impressed with his electrical engineering knowledge as it relates to audio products. Very curious how the Jager will compare to your Zu Audio Soul Superfly.

Some purists believe that AC filament heating is a bit more natural but many builders disagree and say well implemented DC heating is as good sounding if not better.
Charles
@scotttube,
The Bottlehead Kaiju offers the choice for either AC or DC filament heating.
Which way did you decide to go?
What speakers are you driving with you Kaiju? I have no doubt that Paul Joppa has produced a very good 300b amplifier kit.
Charles
@roxy54,
What speakers were/are you using with the  Audio Note kit 330b SET?
Based on your earlier comments regarding your happy experience you obviously have a very compatible match.
Charles 
@roxy54,
Yes, the built quality looks excellent. That is why I was surprised the upcharge for this level of professional work is so modest.

@lewm, 
Absolutely right,  but I just assume that someone considering a low power SET would be aware of this proper speaker necessity. I sure could be wrong.
Charles 
I didn't know the additional charge to build the Audio Note kit amplifier is only 10%. That's seems to me a very reasonable deal unless someone wants the satisfaction/challenge of doing the assembly themselves. 
Charles 
The Audio Note amplifier kit is granted more expensive than the other good 300b kits mentioned above. In my opinion it’s money well spent.
1 Very sturdy and high quality aluminum chassis.
2 Very good quality standard parts. High quality power supply.
3 The option to upgrade capacitors and resistors and especially the output transformers (C-cores are available)
4Tube rectified circuit
5 Proven track record x 25 years.
6 The potential to build an upper tier high end quality 300b SET.
7 300b offers more flexibility in matching speakers due to higher power compared to the 45 and 2A3 tube options.
Charles