SACD vs. DVD vs. HDCD

any comments on which format will win out? there seems to be a fair amount of "software" available for the HDCD, but have heard the SACD has better sound.
tom_maxwell7e43

Showing 2 responses by lancel2000

My bet is that DVD audio will win, mostly because people are already familiar with DVD, and its becoming increasingly popular in video rental stores. As far as mp3 goes I belive they will live forever, though not comercially as RIAA wants to stomp the format. I have a computer hooked into my preamp via the digital out on a SBLive! card. The combo works very well, not as good as the original CD, but I make some fun play lists for parties. :o)
Highend maybe you need a lesson in mathmatics. Granted mp3's compress to about 10% of their original size the information remains. I am sure you are familiar with zip files. Are you suggesting that zip files contain less information that their originals? Yes, but uncompressed for they are identical to the original. I will not defend MP3's anymore than to say for general listening they are acceptable, especially when you have a baby playing in the room. I much prefer sitting down and listend to CD's played on my Proceed/Levinson equipment, but its not everyday that I can do that in the peace and quite that I prefer. My hope is that DVD audio or SACD become the standard soon.