Rowland 625 versus Audio Research DS450

I'm a big fan of Rowland Products. I heard the 625 at CES and was rather impressed by its huge solid soundstage, and the detailed yet mellifluous sound. I was rather depressed by the price tag. I was hoping it would be in Rowland 501 range.

I also heard the Audio Research DS450 with Magnepans at CES. While the sound was very relaxed and tube like, I didn't hear as much bass, as I would have liked. Perhaps it was the speakers or the recordings played?

I noticed both manufacturers avoided the term Class D or "Ice Module" like the plague. I think Class D has become a dirty word among some audiophiles...

Any other thoughts on how the sound of the Rowland 625 compares to Audio Research's DS450?

I would like to save up for one of them. The DS450 or even DS225 seem like they might be "better bang for the buck" (in relative terms). Appreciate your comments. Tks!
optimus

Showing 1 response by almarg

07-25-11: Audiozen
The two factor's I look at for class D is the ampere output, and the db level the amp can achieve before signal break up occurs. The Bel Canto's can be taken all the way up to 130 db's before strain occurs. That's damn impressive. Sonically, class D amps that have high DB and ampere numbers will always sound sonically superior especially on the bottom.

07-26-11: Audiozen
Correction...the db level of the Bel Canto is 120 db's, not 130 db's..my mistake
I think you are referring to the dynamic range spec provided at the Bel Canto website, which is indicated as 120 db for the REF1000M.

That has no direct relation to maximum sound pressure level, which of course is speaker-dependent. It apparently refers to the ratio of maximum rated output power (1000W into 4 ohms, 500W into 8 ohms) to the power level corresponding to A-weighted rms output noise (90 uV).

Those numbers calculate, btw, to 117db of dynamic range into either load impedance, not the 120db which is indicated.

In any event, maximum sound pressure level in db should be calculated based on the maximum power rating, speaker efficiency and impedance, listening distance, and speaker wavelaunch characteristic (planar, box, line source, etc.). Dynamic range has no direct relation to that; it just indicates how far below maximum spl the amp's output noise level will be.

Regards,
-- Al