Rotel RA-1592 vs Paraound Halo or better (anyone heard both?)

I have been using an Adcom GFA-555ii amp, Adcom preamp and Marantz cd player through Aerial 5 speakers for the last 20 years. The amp has begun to produce a low hum in the right channel audible during quieter passages (vocals), and I want to replace it with an Integrated. I know I can get the amp serviced but I thought it was time for something new - solid state only.

The room is small and I sit 5-6 feet from the speakers.

What I like about my current setup is that I was able to boost the bass with tone controls. I also liked the sound of the Adcom gear but never heard anything else. The sound is warm (due to the Aerials) and the bass impact is clean and strong (due to the 555ii). I also liked having a headphone jack.

I have the Adcom 3 channel surround processer (GSP-560) connected to the preamp for TV watching.

I like the  Rotel RA-1592 ($2,500) because of its connectivity options (Bluetooth, wifi)  and good reviews by CNET and The Absolute Sound, but some  users say there are better sounding integrateds for the money. Whathifi trashed the RA-1572. The Halo has good reviews everywhere.

A friend told me there was an Ayre ax-7e for sale (5 yrs old) here, for $2000 but I wonder if its 'too much amp' for my system and will magnify the shortcomings of the other equipment I have. It also has few inputs, no headphone jack and I don't know if I can connect banana plugs or the 3 channel amp to it.

Ive read good things about the Parasound Halo which also has lots of inputs and a headphone jack.

The key for me is that it sounds at LEAST as good as the adcom gear - especially non fatiguing and NOT bright (I'm particular sensitive to bright vocals).

Sorry for the long post.

Any ideas?

epz

Showing 1 response by adg101

Both the Rotel and Parasound are very good pieces. If you want a more basic integrated and don’t need a built in DAC, phono preamp and etc. might want to check out the Cambridge 851A, which has tone controls as you mentioned. It will drive your Aerials just fine. It’s a bit less money but a great piece very well built. Any of these pieces are going to make your Aerials sing better than the Adcoms. I think you’ll be happy either way. Best to audition if you can or buy from a store that will let you return if not satisfied.