Rogue Audio 99 or CJ Classic Preamp?

I'd like to upgrade my Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum integrated amp to a separate preamp and amp combo. I know I want the RA M-180 monoblocks, but I'm still undecided as far as the preamp is concerned. It's a trade-in with my dealer who carries RA, CJ and BAT. He recommends the RA Stereo 99 line stage (I already have a separate phono preamp), but the CJ Classic is about $600 less expensive so I'd like to get your opinions on the choice. The Rogue has no doubt an edge over the Classic in many aspects: remote volume control, adjustable gain settings, mono switch, and separate power supply. The Classic, however, has pretty good reviews and I've always wanted to own a CJ.
In the alternative, I'd also consider another brand/tubed preamp in the $2,000 range. The rest of my system: VPI Classic, Lyra Delos cart, Camelot Technologies Lancelot phono preamp, Silverline Audio SR-17.5 speakers. I'd appreciate your opinions and suggestions.
actusreus

Showing 4 responses by reynolds853

Regarding the Silverline SR-17.5 speakers, I have a pair in my listening room and have listened to them on both Tempest-II and M-180 systems. To me they sound better on the 8 ohm taps.

This is an aside, but I upgraded the capacitor in the crossover in the SR-17.5 to Duelund VSF. I used Mundorf for the resistor. The improvement is phenomenal.

I actually sold my SR-17.5's to a friend but he won't be able to pick them up until the first of the year. I sold them to help fund my acquisition of Silverline Boleros and when I have the spare funds, without a doubt I'll upgrade the crossover in them to Duelund as well.
I can't comment about the Conrad-Johnson as I have no experience with them, but I am very happy with my M-180 amp / 99-Magnum preamp combination.
Actusreus,

The "magnum" moniker indeed designates as an upgraded model. The Rogue website currently lists the Ninety-Nine Preamp as "99 Magnum."

I believe too that enhancements that bring the "magnum" moniker eventually become standard on later prodcts, so the moniker is not always carried forward even though the enhancements are still used. That might be a little of what's going on for the 99 at this point. It's called the "Ninety-Nine Preamp" in the headline, but the "99 Magnum" in the line where the price is given. But all current 99 preamps are "magnum" versions.
Actusreus,

You are quite welcome.

I did the crossover myself. If you are reasonably handy with a hot glue gun and a soldering iron, it's not difficult. In order to fit the larger capacitors on the board I made a little bridge. Please send me an email and I'll send you a picture of what I did. I'll be happy to make the bridge for you and send it to you. In this case the pictures I send you will be worth a thousand words.

Also, the pictures I have will show the Mundorf silver/gold/oil capacitors that I put in the speaker. However, I ended up not liking the sound and changed them out for Duelund capacitors and they sound great.

Again, please send me an email and I'll send you links and pictures.

The 3.3 micF Duelund VSF copper caps are about $200 each at partsconnexion.com, and you'll need two.

With the Mundorf s/g/o caps I used two 1-ohm resistors in series to give the required 2-ohm total. When I switched to Duelund I was also going to switch to Duelund resistors but broke one of the Duelund resistor leads when I was putting the crossover board back in the speaker. So, I just reinstalled the Mundorf resistors. The Mundorf resistors are $15 each, and you'll need four of them, 1-ohm each.

So, the project will cost about $460. I got the Duelund caps when they were on sale - I don't recall exactly, but I may have paid $170 each for them.

Oh, and you'll need some solder. I used WBT. If partsconnexion doesn't have any, I'm sure Madisound.com would. That'll take the cost of the project up to about $500 I guess.