Rockport Mira not Mira 2 vs. Monitor Audio PL300

Anybody heard both? I would be interested in any comments / comparisons / rants and raves. I've heard the PL300s and not the Rockports.
Thanks,
Hukk
hukkfinn

Showing 2 responses by hukkfinn

First, I want to thank you for your responses.

I want to be careful here, so please bear with me....

I'm curious if general "knowledge of the brands" is driving these comments. I mean, MA's reputation is clearly nowhere near Rockport's. But brand knowledge may not be sufficient in this case. Or then again, it might be!

Specifically, have you (Kennyt, Cmalak, Team212, Jfrech) had the opportunity to hear the $11,000 Monitor Audio PL300? It is supposed to be a much better performer than anything else M.A. has released previously. The British mag "What HiFi" said:

"The PL300s are far and away the best speakers we've heard from Monitor Audio – and we can't think of similarly priced rivals we prefer."

and the surprising statement:

"The PL300 are some of the best speakers we've heard"

I've also been told by several audiophiles that the original Rockport Mira is a bit laid back in the highs (one guy I have a lot of respect for said they are "colored, like Sonus Fabers") and I've heard the Mira 2 was a substantial improvement, etc.

So that is why I'm wondering if you have actually had the chance to hear both specific models in my little quest (Kennyt and Jfrech made it clear they have heard the Mira's). Thanks again for your helpful responses.

-Hukk
Thanks so much for your follow-ups. I agree Cmalak, I really do need to hear these before I purchase, and I intend to. I also value the experiences of those on Audiogon, and I appreciate the feedback I'm getting here.

I certainly didn't mean to argue with anybody, just wondering what the background experiences were, as I read your responses. And I wanted to mention that both speakers may be outliers / different from their company's normal 'house sounds'.

Thank you again.
-Hukk