review iPhono 2

I must be slow as I could not find a link to place this as a review. 

So, I have written about the 1st gen iPhono in the past, comparing it to the very fine Coincident phonostage which I believe is about $6k. I preferred the iPhono but I could just as easily imagine someone else going for the Coincident unit. In that review I thought the Coincident had a better sustain, decay and bloom while the iPhono was hands down the winner in the prat department. The iPhono made my feet move, the Coincident, not so much.

Later on I added the iPower to the fray and the iPhono shored up the areas it lacked. As a former owner of the very very nice Graaf GM70 I was a bit surprised and dismayed when I finally received the iPhono and heard it once fully run-in. I would not have shelled out the thousands of dollars I paid for the GM70 and the vintage NOS tubs I purchased to make it sing, oh and the $1600 I had to spend on the Ortofon ST-80SE SUT to use with the MM inputs of the Graaf as I could not get it quiet enough to tolerate with the MC inputs. The very small $400 iPhono basically did everything the Graaf did (with the iPower that is).

My reference phonostage for the last few years (and probably many more to come) is the fabulous AMR PH77 and I’m running it with a set of Bendix 6900 tubes which elevates its performance even more than the already stellar stock configurations performance. In comparison to my PH77, I found the 1st gen iPhono to be a bit thin and during crescendos it could become a little ragged. Still, it remained in my arsenal as a handy and trusty back-up. The PH77 is of course tubed and as we tube owners know all too well, sometimes they fail and you are down for a while.

Compared to most phonostages I have heard, some of them costing up to $9k I found the 1st gen iPhono to be able to hold its own in some cases crazy as it may sound it was just plain better. I believe AMR intended the iPhono/iTube to be used in conjunction as a sort of baby AMR PH77 and I ran it that way for some time and yes, it does share that familial DNA when it comes to sonic signature.

Move forward some years and I have in my possession the iPhono2 and the iTube 2. To say that the iPhono 2 is better than its predecessor is far too simple a statement. Mr. Fremer thought it to be at least twice as good as the original. I would agree with his assessment. Out of the box with the included iPower is shows far more prowess in the areas of bass but otherwise is pretty close to the original. After about 20 hours a bit more fluidity begins to appear. Again at the 100 and about the 340 hour mark big jumps occur in the areas of fluidity and continuousness. When you get to 480 hours forget about it!

This thing sounds like it has a tube in it, and I don’t mean in that classic overly warm soft rose colored sound that I found so fantastic when I was new to high end audio. No, I am referring to a pellucid but meaty embodiment and rendering of the music. A sound one would immediately associate with MUCH costlier gear.

Most of my listening has been done with my second turntable system which is composed of a Technics SL-1200 GAE with a fully broken in Denon 103R on a LP Zupreme 15 gram headshell and my London Reference. The phono stage then feeds the iCan Pro (best pre I have heard and I have owned 2 MFA Ref units, the baby Ref and the full Ref), the Tube Research Labs GTP 2, and many more. I have had in my system for evaluation the Veloce (battery powered) the Allnic L3000 and many others. From the pre it goes to the custom active crossover and then to a Graaf Modena for the mids, a Harmonix Reimyo PAT777 for the Raal Ribbons and a pair of Acoustic Reality Thaumaturges ($25K when available) for the woofers. The speaker is called the Encore and is my own design. I simply got tired of paying for passive boxes made of MDF with wood screws going directly into the glued wood dust and sold for tens of thousands of dollars but I digress :)

The sound is at once flowing and dynamic. It grabs and holds my attention and really gets my foot tapping. The sound is MUCH more refined and fuller than the original iPhono with no hint of raggedness during large scale bombastic music. For instance it scales far more convincingly on some of the more challenging passages in Hans Zimmers wonderful soundtrack to Gladiator. The original could sound a bit blocky if you take my meaning. It did not have the ability to gracefully scale the mountain so to speak. The iPhono 2 does it with much more ease and refinement.

Here is where it gets interesting. As good as the iPhono 2 is out of the box and it is very very good (and especially after 340 hours or more) in fact far far better than the DS Audio optical cartridge system that I auditioned, it can be made to sound a good deal better. Now this is my own thing, the iFi line of SMPS’s are admittedly super quiet and much better than most SMPS such as the ones inside my apple gear, but I hate them ALL.

I do not like green eggs and.., ahem. Sorry, just flashed back to Dr. Seuss when I thought of my aversion to SMPS’s.

I mean I understand why they are used, efficient,  cheaper to ship and inherently regulated. But they still hurt the sound of my system. As an aside I am actually having a custom linear PS built for my SL-1200 GAE to replace the awful SMPS that Technics installed. So to the point, I replaced the iPower with a linear regulated lab grade power supply. I don’t like hyperbole so I offer none but the result was nothing short of breath taking. There is a great deal more that can be had from that little silver box with a good (and I do mean good) linear supply.

Next I added the iTube 2 to the fray. As I mentioned before AMR always sorta intended this combo to be a baby PH77 as was or may still be mentioned on the iFi site. How to put this; everything I have said about the iPhono 2 up to this point; multiply it by 2 times again. Now you have that sorta living presence that the performers are in your vicinity. Things are rounder, more palpable and it breathes much easier. Again I powered the iTube 2 with a linear supply along with the iCan Pro. Please don’t misunderstand me, I lived with these units powered via there very good SMPS’s for quite a while and they made beautiful music BUT I knew there was much more to be had.

Like Mr. Fremer (paraphrased) stated, to get better than the iPhono 2 you are going to have spend much more and you still may not surpass this unit. I auditioned a $16K current phono stage that people rave over and my ears tell me that it cannot compete with iPhono 2/ iTube 2 combination.  I will not call this a reference phono stage. It is great and I listen to it daily but I reserve titles like reference for the likes of Ypsilon, VDH Grail SB and my AMR PH77. The little combo does far more than I could have imagined. It capable of truly astounding musical reproduction on a grand scale.  

Remember to let it run in for at least 100 (and I suggest 300) hours before you really start to judge it but my guess is it won’t take most people that long to know that this is special gear designed by some super gifted engineers who also happen to actually be able to HEAR. Thanks for reading and I hope this helps someone make a decision one way or the other. Happy listening.

audiofun
Dear Doug, i've been trying iPhono2 and in my opinion it's too bright, the bass can't compete with the more expensive phono stages. But as i said i'm a big fan of MM cartridges. With LOMC cartridges iPhono impressed me more, but still not as good to buy it for myself. 

After reading many comments i quickly realized it can be problematic, nothing is perfect, but little bugs can be fixed. In case with MADE IN CHINA iPhono2 the bugs can not be fixed even after 3rd return from the customers. This is BS! This product must be avoided. Actually the whole philosophy behind the iFi is so stupid in my opinion, people ended up with so many devices in the signal pass, tons of switches and so on and on, everything boxed like the Apple iPhone (WTF?). 

I can't remember the price of this terrible unit, but for $774 USD (including shipping) anyone can buy JLTi phono stage made in Australia by Joe Rassmussen, he was a partner of Allen Wright (a co-designer of the JLTi when it was made in Switzerland). They are respected people in audiophiles world.  I just bought JLTi and i just don't get that hype about iPhono, do yourself a favour, check the JLTi if you're looking for reasonably priced and great sounding phono stage. I'm sure there are many more phono stages available, but i have not tried them. I can only speaks for JLTi because they are in the same price range with that terrible Chinese iPhono.

Here is more about JLTi: 
" The name denotes that this is a Solid State device using something that is called Diamond Transistor Theory, rarely used on High-End Audio products. The most simple and linear audio voltage amplification device is a Vacuum Triode which consists of three electrodes only. They are the Grid (input), Cathode (grounding) and Anode (output). On the other hand, the Solid State Transistor is a current device but is nowhere near as linear as the Triode. It consists of Base (input), Emitter (grounding) and Collector (output). The idea behind a Diamond Transistor is actually a composite circuit that emulates the near perfect and linear Transistor as a current device with the same three electrodes in the circuit then becomes the equivalent of the Base, Emitter and Collector followed by a Unity Gain Buffer. "

As the oppisite to Raul, i use tube amps with vintage Telefunken, Sylvania tubes at the moment. BUT i don't use tube phono stages! The most "tube sounding" phono stage in my arsenal is WLM Phonata (Made in Austria) with specific MOS-FET transistors. But this phono stage is much more expensive.  
It's really too bad that this otherwise great thread has been derailed with a bunch of sound and fury.

I have been enjoying the iPhono2 immensely since my last post. I now have well over 700 hours on it, still using the Pyramid LPS. I also got the Blue Circle stuff I have been eyeing for a while. Picked up a Blue Circle Fx2 X0e powerline conditioner, as well as a Blue Cicle balanced power module. Oh man, filtering out the noise from the powerlines made a tremendous difference in the sound - it removed this high frequency glare that I didn't even realize was in the sound. I'm convinced that the brightness that some people experience with the iPhono2 is a result of dirty power lines.

So I heard a huge improvement with the Blue Circle powerline conditioner and  balanced power module, but I cannot stress the importance of the fuse you are using, and the astounding difference it makes to the sound. I was so blown away by the way the AMR fuse completely changed the sound signature and overall presentation and imaging (honestly it sounds like I am listening to a different turntable and cartridge) ,so I kept reading and went down the fuse rabbit hole. In December I got a good deal on some SR Black fuses, so I put one in the LPS and also in the Blue Circle balanced power module. And the difference was once again jaw-dropping. The SR Black fuses are absolutely incredible, and my system sounds nothing like it did back when I was using the provided power supply. I am in heaven right now, enjoying my system more than ever :D

I also modded the Pyramid LPS with an "Asylum Cord" power cord (Belden 19364 cable and a Marinco 5266 plug, both cryo treated), and also replaced the wire going from the fuse to the on/off switch with some cryo treated Neotech UPOCC hook-up wire. Also made a higher quality power cord for the iPhono2 as well, using some stranded Neotech OCC wire. These items only cost a few dollars, but have brought the sound up to yet another level. I honestly can't believe what I am hearing. 

Honestly I can't thank you enough, audiofun. All the advice you've provided here has been absolutely spot on.

The reported problems with the iPhono2 are nothing more than a faulty batch of power supplies, but it seems there were a bunch of dudes with axes to grind ready to pounce. Reading all these disappointed dudes' experiences on stevehoffman forum is disappointing, but funnily enough I had my own weird experience with the iPhono2 and almost returned it. I would defend the product to the death now, but at one point I was so pissed off at it. I couldn't get this grounding hum to go away no matter what I did; grounding the grounding post didn't work, I tried grounding every item connected to it in every possible combination and nothing worked. I was convinced the thing was defective and almost returned it, but wanted to give it one last real attempt. I touched a real ground off the outer shell of the output RCA's (the ground of the output signal), and finally the thing was silent. So I just wrapped a ground wire around them and it was silent ever since, and also stopped running hot. I've had it for almost 2 years now, it's been turned on 24/7 the entire time and it's doing great.

Anyway, this business with having to ground the output RCA's was only with the supplied power supply. With the Linear Power Supply, the output rca's don't need to be grounded, and also the thing never runs hot anymore. It's just luke warm to the touch.

Seriously, I am pretty sure all those problems with it running hot and having weird hums are from the power supply, and some of the guys who returned it probably could have got it to work if they tried long enough, but I can't really blame them. iFi had a bad batch of power supplies or something. Mine seems fine but it only worked when I grounded the output RCA's. And mine is a pre-order unit, so it was one of the very first shipped. I can't say enough about how awesome this thing is, and I am so incredibly grateful that I didn't return it. But to be fair, the grumblers have a point in that iFi actually has some pretty strict wording on their website about using only the provided power supply, so really, the people who are complaining are the ones who have are following the manufacturer's instructions, and they are also not getting anywhere close to getting the best sound out of their units. And all of us who use linear power supplies are praising the units, but we're actually going against the manufacturer's recommendations. It's kind of ironic that we're praising the thing and they're roasting it.
Hi audiofun,

thank you for your review of the iPhono 2!

Due to the fact that I had a fully broken in iPhono 2 for a longer
lasting test in my stereo system, unfortunately I have to disagree
in a few points.

Despite the fact that the iPhono 2 is one of the best phono stages
in it price range it firstly had no chance in some aspects (like
surface noise, 3D, tone colours...) compared to my reference
(internal Tidal phono stage).
Secondly I compared it (like you) with my DS Audio systems
(DS-002 and DS-W1) and these are audiophile miles ahead of
what is possible with the iPhono 2 (for this comparison I used
a ZYX 4D - Atmos and a Shindo SPU).
Thirdly the iPhono 2 was now replaced with a similiar priced
phono stage which bettered the iPhono 2 in all relevant aspects
by smaller to significant margins. The (of course in my opinion)
clear winner in that price range is the Trichord Dino Mk3. Especially
with the optional Dino+ PSU it is my clear favoured "best bang for
the buck".
Racedoc:

Hi, you are welcome.

I have no experience with the Tidal gear, but it is beautiful and I would hope that it betters many phono stages based on the pricing differential alone. Obviously I have no opinion as I have not had the pleasure of hearing the Tidal gear, perhaps one day :)

I have heard the DS and we definitely differ. The DS was probably the single worse phono stage I have ever heard. I found it to be very phasey with respect to surface noise artifacts. The surface noise was separate and distinctly out of phase from the rest of the music. The surface noise was always left of center and out front, it was really weird. The sound was thin and anemic, just plain bad. I have suspected and I hope that the unit was faulty because I am not exaggerating, it was terrible. I really have to believe that unit was not operating correctly, especially in light of your listening impressions.

I have not heard the Trichord, sounds interesting.

Thanks for your insights, they are appreciated.
Mantis-toboggan:

I’m just seeing this as I grew tired of some of the foolishness. I appreciate your words, thank you. My whole goal was just to share my experience with a superior and affordable phono stage.

I appreciated the intelligence of how you and racedoc presented your impressions regardless of whether or not I agree with those impressions.  At the end of the day we all have our likes and dislikes.

You have probably cost me money :) because now I have to buy some of the SR Black fuses and compare them to the AMR mk2 fuses. If the SR Blacks are better, in they go :)

I’m really glad you are enjoying your unit and more importantly, your music!