Recommended new speakers for under $500?

Hi all, I'm looking for a set of new speakers for backup/second system. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about the Usher S-520. I have no preference whether the speakers are full range, monitor, or planar.
dracule1

Showing 2 responses by aptquark

Jesus...get Magneplanar base model MMG's...the mids and highs will blow all the other aforementioned speaker away IMHO. Also, depending on where you place them, the bass will be adequate to excellent regardless of their reputation of little bass that you read so often here. Good luck.
Dracule1, I had Thiel's, Acoustic zen, JBL monitors and a few others in my main system for a good while. All were excellent. I decided to keep my MMG's as my mains for a good while because I could not give up those mids/highs. I tried a few different positions for the placement of the speakers AND my listening position. I found the spot where I had plenty of base for my taste. I listen to everything...classical, rock, metal, punk, progressive jazz...and all on vinyl mostly. I throw in a cd every once in a while. As for a secondary system...you cant go wrong with these guys. Period. IMHO of course. Cheers.