Reasonable not to be offered a trial on a cart?

Hi everyone. This query is in respect of a cart but applies to any audio component really.
In this day and age it's getting harder to maintain a relationship with a single dealer. I realise this means that approaching a distributor/dealer for the first time means they have no way of knowing whether I'm a timewaster. Often I'll pick up on the buzz of a favoured component, seek it out, and if poss secure a home demo. There's only been a handful of items I've not gone on to purchase.
I have my eye (ear?) on a particular high end cart (I won't reveal it's identity for the time being). However the UK dealer, while happy to audition it in his system, will not consider making it available for home demo, claiming this would be expensive and impractical (understandable considering he is 200 miles from me).
But this I find perplexing-he claims even if it is run in, it won't sound good ie components NEVER sound good listened for the first time in an installation.
Now, I do understand a one off listen of a new component in an alien system may be disorientating, and the cart could hardly be left with me, but surely in the Golden Age of audio, home demos were used as the last stage in clinching a deal to buy the component.
Or am I incorrect, maybe carts never were available for demo.
Any thoughts on the dealer's reticence, and his assertion that all components are likely not to sound of their best when first installed in a system.
spiritofmusic

Showing 2 responses by br3098

Spiritofmusic, while I'm glad that you found a dealer that will meet your requirements, I think that your expectations are unreasonable for most dealers. You believe that an in-home demo for "a couple of hours" is fair and reasonable on a $6,500 purchase, but let's look at what is involved:

1- dealer needs to block out time for an in-home demo that could or should be spent in his shop
2-dealer needs to unmount the cartridge from whatever unit is is on, taking time and risking damage to the cartridge
3- dealer needs to travel to your residence (time is money)
4- dealer needs to mount the cartridge on your deck, risking damage to his cartridge and your tonearm. Additionally, this may require anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours, depending on a variety of conditions including you.
4- dealer has to sit around for "a couple of hours" while you evaluate the cartridge
5- Maybe you like the cartridge, maybe you don't. In either case the dealer now has to unmount his demo unit (risking damage to his cartridge and your tonearm). Assuming that you liked and purchased the cartridge, you will undoubtedly expect the dealer to mount the new cartridge on your deck for free.
6- dealer travels back to his showroom, home, or the nearest bar
7- dealer needs to remount the cartridge on his deck, risking damage yet again

So, let's say that all of this requires a full 8-hour day. At $75/hr, that equates to $600. Would you be willing to pay for this service, with the understanding that a partial or full refund should you elect to purchase the cartridge? And would you agree to indemnify the dealer if there was any real or claimed accidental damage to your gear during this process? If the you answer no to either of these questions, how could you expect anyone to do this for you for free?
Spiritofmusic,

Well after everyone's rants (including my own), it seems that there is at least one dealer that does offer a home trial for high-end cartridges, via a 7-day return policy: Robyatt Audio for Miyajima cartridges. http://www.robyattaudio.com/Otono.htm

This seems to be a very fair to do promote these fine cartridges, and I applaud this dealer for promoting these products in this way. I wish that more dealers were this forward thinking.

Merry Xmas