Rack Advice Needed

I am interested in a rack that will fit into an existing opening in my living room where I now have a bookcase. Something sturdy, about 4 feet high, that slides out preferably. I now have an amp, pre/pro, universal disc player, video processor/switcher, cable box, media center pc and will be adding a DAC and power conditioner soon. I am planning to have an enclosure built around it with doors that blend into the room, and bookshelves above it. Should I plan to have a fan built in as well? Any suggestions of where to look or order from, brands, materials, features to watch for would be appreciated as I am a newb and this is my first "real" system. Thanks.
theclam

Showing 1 response by tom6897

Go to the design center at Lowes, Home Depot, Mennards etc. Take your dimensions, color pallete and budget. Choose from wood, metal, glass, granite, corian, you name it. The same skills that go into kitchen cabinetry will cross over to your audio rack system needs. You can plan your storage and airflow needs as well as lighting and electrical all at the same time. You will save much over a dedicated audio custom piece, and it will add to your homes appeal. As a bonus everything will match.

(p.s.) there is a lot of wiggle room in their pricing for cabinets and lighting.