"Frightening" or "Relaxing" sound quality?

What do I mean by that?
Not that I wish to start a new controversy --- knowing some of the usual contributors, it may not be entirely avoidable, so let’s see what gives.

Following some of the threads on the –ultimate- ‘phase-coherent’, 'time-coherent' or yet better, both, 1st order up to steep slopes, an so on, cross-over opinions, I have these notions. So let me explain.

One quite well known ‘maverick’ (done some picking on some other well known reviewer, posting it on his site...), somewhere he states: a good speaker must have the ability 'to frighten you' --- his words, and I can see/hear what he means, at least I think so.

Some other dealer in Wilson’s marvellous products (he's around my place), tells me he can only listen for about ½ hour than he is 'exhausted' --- i.e. too intense to do any longer listening…

Nobody is talking about ‘listening fatigue’ actually, it is more an emotional fatigue, as far as I get it.

Now me, I go to a life orchestra listening and emerge pretty well ‘up-lifted’, never had any fatigue (maybe my bottom, when it got a bit too lengthy) never mind emotional fatigue! Gimme Mahler, Stravinsky, Mussorgsky, heavy (classical) metal, whow --- upliftment. Never occur to me run away, get uneasy, GET FRIGHTENED!

I clearly get ‘emotional fatigue’ listening to some types of speakers!
What were they?
I think they had one thing in common: They all where, in some way, VERY realistic, but they also had something else in common, --- they did not, as it seems, stick too well to a reasonably flat amplitude response… ah ha.

What this design regimen seems to produce during listening to keep on making you jump? Apparently always something rather unexpected in happening! Now we do also know what makes us (as humans) ‘jump’: it is some unexpected ‘something’ coming ‘out of the bush’ a snapping branch, some sort of VERY REAL sound, that does not quite go along with the general set of the acoustic environment.

Now take some ‘benign, dumb’ kind of speaker, it has so little in REALISTIC sound to offer, it just can’t frighten you. You (your instinct, subconscious) just don’t ‘buy’ into it.
Now take a VERY realistic sound-producer (the ones that can make you jump) and mess with the amplitude response, what you are getting is this on the edge of your seat reaction. The VERY opposite of what a lot of music has as its intention. (Not like AV ‘Apocalypse now’ kind of chopper going to attack you from any old angle, top, behind, etc.)

Lastly, has this something to do with why lots of folks perhaps shy away from these sort of designs?
I have listened to my share and I shy away, because as REAL everything seems to be in the reproduction, it keeps me in a state of inner tension, apprehension --- even listening to some Mozart Chamber music, as there is ALWAYS something very REAL, but somehow unsettling going on.

It might just explain why some of these designs don’t ‘cut the mustard’ and not survive in the long run. Unless, and open to opinion, that we are (most of us anyway) so messed up and transistor-radio-sound-corrupted that we seem ‘unworthy of these ‘superior’ audio-designs.
I honestly don’t think so, but you may have it otherwise, as they say YMMV.

I thought it is of value to bring this up, since it does not ever seem to be part of any of the more ‘technical’ discussions ---- the human ‘fright/flight’ element in ignoring proper FLAT amplitude response in favour of minimal insertion losses, or proper impedance compensation, notch filtering, et al, just so to obtain this form of stressful realism.

It might be also something to do with age, a much younger listener (in my experience) likes to be stirred up, and emotionally knocked all over the place ---- listening to Baroque music like bungee jumping?!
Maybe.
It be interesting to hear if it is just my form of ‘over-sensitiveness’ that brings forth this subject.
Best,
Axel
axelwahl
Hi Mrtennis
you say:
>>> don't confuse the startle effect with fear.<<<

I guess you should not have the meaning of these words confused, and that's very good.
But the question is a bit more delicate actually. What makes the difference between the one and the other?

If I am totally immersed into the music and some one 'creeps' up on me and thereby 'intrudes' into my 'Meta-space' (this self created imagined one, eyes closed usually) it can freak the hell out of me, right?

So what's in a different state of awareness, a start at best, is now a full blown FRIGHT, I have jumped when this happened! It's like some invasion into this day-dream like listening state. So I guess we are much more vulnerable to some 'wrong' stuff if we 'open up'.

Food for thought, I say.
Axel
PS: This better NOT happen to you listening to 'elevator' music --- and even more so while in an elevator :-)
"why would one react the same way to something that is real, e.g., live music and something that is not real, i.e., the sound of a stereo system."
This sentence could be no further off the mark.
Case in point: You sit and listen to your stereo *in the dark*, the music, say the Violin and Piano Concerto of the pubescent Mendelsohn draws you deeply into its melodic texture, not intellectually, which oculd be a pleasure as well, but emotionally. You sort of become one with the dialogue between piano and violin. (Argerich and Kremer in that case)Suddenly the massed strings set in, the recording as well as your rig at that very moment are so good, that it sounds as if the players, though somewhat reduced in size, were here with you in the room. The illusion is so perfect, that for a moment, your conscious mind anyway somewhat unfocused, in a tiny fraction of a split second you don't know where you are and what is at. It is a flash of being startled, fright if you will, adrenaline flows for sure, that gets you back into your place in time and space. Could it be that, Axel, what you are talking about? If so, I would say, that a rig must be really excellent, if it can sometimes scare you.
Food for thought for me, don't know about you of course...
( The Concerto I mentioned was recorded by DGG on digital by the way and I have it on vinyl no less. So one would expect the worst of both worlds. Not so in this case . Just goes to show, that there are always exceptions to ones predilections and exceptions to the rules you like to believe in. What a great hobby we have!
I like the term " Startle effect " ... This is a good description. Now, when you are literally startled at the accuracy along WITH life like dynamics, and without distortion, he he he ... well in my opinion you are most of the way there. Where exactly is that you ask ? Where we are all trying to go of course ... Sonic Nirvana
BUT, the system must also excel at low level resolution as well. This is where it all meets the road: Good dynamic speakers with few flaws, and ENOUGH power to get you "there" ...
hi detlof:

if you can be so taken with an illusion , more power to you. especially with orchestral music, the diffference between real and recorded is great indeed. it may be mind over matter, again.
"if you can be so taken with an illusion , more power to you. especially with orchestral music, the diffference between real and recorded is great indeed. it may be mind over matter, again"

We all have our illusions, and you have reality.

May you find your way as pleasant......