Question for you Denon DL-103 folks

Hi folks,

I recently bought a new Rega RP1 and I love it. This turntable is begging for a good cartridge, as it comes with the Rega Carbon (a re-branded AT), which is a passable basic cartridge but falls wayyy short of what this table can do. I’m temporarily going to swap it out for my Grado Black +, but I do not intend to use it over the long term.

I’ve been researching cartridges in the sub-$500 range, and the choices are endless. One cartridge that has captured my interest is the Denon DL-103. The reason why this cartridge appeals to me is that, based on what I’ve read, it leans a bit to the warm side, in addition to being a superb performer for the price.  I bring up "warm" because I’m using a Parasound Z-Phono, a Rotel preamp, and a Musical Fidelity power amp to run my Magnepans. The last thing I need is a bright or dry-sounding cartridge.   I also read a review where they said it worked fantastic with their Rega tonearm.  

Because I’m not planning on buying a new phono stage, or a step-up transformer, you guys can probably figure out why I’m asking for opinions/advice. My Z-Phono, which I enjoy quite a bit, has MC gain of 61db, and the minimum recommended gain for the DL-103 is 60db. Would it be risky to buy this cartridge and hope that it works with the Z-Phono? Does anybody have any input here, or recommendations for MM cartridges that are similar in sound characteristics to the DL-103? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
easybigfella

Showing 1 response by truemaineiac

I have been using a denon 103r for about 5 months as my emt tsd-15 was being rebuilt in Germany.  This is probably my least favorite cartridge of the ones that I have used in my system.  My use of it was on a well tempered amadeus II into the Auditorium SUT designed for this cartridge and then into a Shindo Auriges MM.  In direct comparison to my EMT I found it had limited dynamics and was somewhat flat sounding.  I also like the benz glider HO and and clearaudio maestro better than the denon as well but these were used on different tables and systems so it is not really a direct observation but drawing on memory.  I also very much liked the ZYX Airy-3.