Quad ESL 57 with subwoofer

Has anyone tried adding a sub to a pair of Quad ESLs?
If so, did it work out? What sub did you use and how did you connect it? Thanks.
128x128noromance
UPDATE! In the intervening years since my 2014 post above, I have learned that hardcore panel speaker enthusiasts recommend employing Magneplanar Tympani-IV bass panels as woofers, or even subs. There is one guy over on the Planar Speaker Asylum who uses them as woofers for his Martin Logan ESL speakers, with an Eminent Technology TRW-17 Rotary Woofer for the VERY low bass. That I would love to hear! 
I had the Quad ESL 63s and the Gradient dipole sub made for them.
To this day the best panel/dynamic speaker blend I've ever heard.  Not perfect, but far closer than I've heard since.
All you need are,8-10" subs, a pair is ideal. Drive them from your main amp using the high level inputs, so not run cables from your preamp, set the crossover at 40Hz, adjusting the volume to blend, use a piano and a vocal recordings, when either becomes to thick/heavy sounding you raised the volume to high, after you are happy try 50Hz, you may have to adjust the volume  a bit, choice is yours on what you prefer, don't crossover higher than 50Hz. 

noromance
Has anyone tried adding a sub to a pair of Quad ESLs?
If so, did it work out?
When we played around with them with subs. The problem was the 57’s bass to where you use it to is very fast and agile as it is with all ESL’s
To mate this with a big diameter 12" 15" 18" slower sub for us was not successful, there was always a disconnect between the two.
We found it better to use subs the had 10" or less drivers with maybe even twin 8" and that were also servo controlled to mate up better with the Quads bass.
And I agree with phillyb 2 stereo subs are better each next to or behind each Quad run off the L & R preamp outputs (not from the mono HT sub output)

Cheers George
Thanks guys. I ended up removing the old REL and adding it to the other rig. It burned out anyway and I replaced it with an S3 which is MUCH better. The Quads sounded better without it. I've also removed the grills.
I was thinking of something like a pair of REL T5i.