Quad 405 Updated .... Any Knowlege on this upgrade

I am trying to deciding if I should just buy a newer (used) ss amp or up grade my old quad 405.

Has anyone listened to a Quad 405 after updating?

According to the Quad builder .... I quote .....
I highly disagree with so many of these so called "Audiophiles" speak without ever having dealt with products. I own extremely high end audio equipment and a modified 405 is one of the best. As a matter of fact dual mono Quad 405's are the best I have ever heard."

So I am looking for some truth ..

BTW
I am currently using
Audio Research SP5 pre amp
Quad 405 dumping main amp
Pioneer Elite DV-48AV
Polk Monitor 10's
Velodyne VRP 1200 sub

Thanks in advance
Tony in Florida
ajanzalone

Showing 1 response by stevemcx

I suspect you would be pleasantly surprised by the performance of the upgraded Quad 405 (and I oughta know - I'm the guy who started modifying them back in the late '70s). I also expect that you would get a lot of "bang for your buck" compared to the cost of buying another amplifier. On the other hand, there is always some risk when sending a component off for modification. The site www.quadmodsusa.com/405upgrades.html appears professionally done and offers the required services, but I know nothing of their reputation.

If you have not already done so, Google "Quad 405 modification" and you will get a lot of useful info.

Rebuilt Quad 405s have made a lot of audiophiles happy - it's a very good amp (and really a LOT better than the stock amp). Like a lot of other things in life, though, there is no way to know if it's going to be everything you want without trying it. Good luck!

Best regards,

Steve McCormack
SMc Audio