Processor DACs

I am shopping for a new Processor. I’ll probably get an Integra DHC 80.3, so I am curious if anyone has ever compared the onboard DAC of their processor to an established benchmark DAC such as a W4S DAC-2. Since my music server has USB outs, it would require purchasing a USB to S/PDIF converter (such as the Anedio U2) to hook up the processor to the server. Before spending the money on a converter, I am wondering if people have tried this out, and what their experience with it is. It seems that most mainstream processors have solid DACs to do all the Dolby Digital conversion, so wouldn’t it make sense that they should perform excellent as a standalone DAC? I would appreciate your thoughts and experience.
hifiguy5

Showing 6 responses by cdj123

Kal/Edorr,
Is it possible to output from a music server to an Audyssey equipped Processor to a DAC (somewhat similar to what Edorr describes) to take the Processor’s DAC out of the loop? If so, then it would be interesting to compare the Processor’s DAC (with and without room correction) to a standalone DAC (with and without room correction).
This is interesting. My room is treated but it makes me wonder if the 1% (or 5% or 10%) you give up with a processor, you gain back with room correction. Even the best rooms can benifit by Audyssey/ARC/Trinnov etc. It's time for an experiment!
Edorr, Have you experimented at all with Dirac or Acourate? If so, I would like to hear what your thoughts are and how the results compare to some of the mainstream products (given that they have a different implementation).
Mateored, I am looking forward to seeing how you make out. It should be a good comparison.
Mateored, It looks like the Wadia has both balanced and unbalanced out. You could run one set to you amp and the other through something like a Velodyne SMS-1 (then to your sub). It is an and older product but very flexable and you can EQ your sub with it.