Problems with a Phase Technologies HV-800 subwoofer

Hi all, I'm new here so please pardon if I put this in the wrong category.

I recently got my hands on a secondhand Phase Technologies HV-800, which I have just recently added to my current setup. it seemed to work fine for a couple of weeks, it had good sound and worked well for a secondhand speaker (there's no telling what the previous owner put it through). The problems started a couple days ago when I powered it on. The moment I powered it on, it began making a very loud humming noise, and when I attempted to play music through my Sony STR-K502P Receiver, it was incredibly loud and boomy, no matter the volume of the receiver. it was rumbling way too much and I powered it off almost instantly for fear of breaking something. 

I have done what little troubleshooting I know how (i.e. changing settings on the receiver, and adjusting the knobs on the sub itself, checking all wiring and whatnot), but I haven't found a solution. looking online bears little results, so I came here for help. Thanks for reading, any help is appreciated.
desperado762
Its a cheap sub, and cheap subs use cheap plate amps, and even decent plate amps tend to blow one way or another anyway. Well they are mounted in a high vibration energy environment, you know? So that's the bad news, your amp is done.

The good news is you still have a sub. If the amp hasn't blown the speaker. Which if you shut it down before it started smoking, or rattling (either one indicating stick a fork in it, its done) then the speaker is okay. 

So what you do, open it up, remove the plate amp, see what if anything there might be worth keeping. The plate, gasket, terminals, is all, I'm guessing. Then start looking around for something like a Dayton subwoofer amp. And some wire....