Pro-Ject Extension 12 to SME Model 10

Hello,
I am considering upgrading my turntable from a Pro-Ject Extension 12 to a SME Model 10.
Would this be a worth while upgrade?
Would it actually sound better?
Is there another turntable in the price range of the SME Model 10 to consider?
I am unfamiliar with the benefits of upgrading the turntable as this is the first that I have owned.
I would keep my current cartridge a Sumiko Pearwood Celebration II.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank You
pkelly1504

Showing 1 response by pkelly1504

Thank you for the responses.

The Pro-Ject Extension 12 is the companies first venture into making a higher end product which lists for $5000 and punches above its weight so to speak. It includes a 12" carbon fiber arm and it is sturdy as it weighs over 50 lbs.

I have been told that my turntable is the weak link in my system. My system consist of a Conrad Johnson ARTsa amplifier, Conrad Johnson ET7s2 for a Preamp, Audio Research Ref 2 se Phono Pre and Nola Grand Metro Reference Gold Speakers.

I find vinyl to have a much fuller sound with better low end grunt, separation of instruments, more detail, black space between instruments, better clarity in vocals and simply more pleasing to my ears.

Any suggestions on a turntable that would be an upgrade giving me more of the positive attributes that vinyl delivers?

The turn table does not have to be a SME. I would buy a used turntable as I can get better value.

Thank you for the advice.