Power Cables and Wall Sockets

Without knowing for certain, it seems to me that power cables can only be as good as the in-home wiring coming to the wall socket. Is it possible that those who use expensive cables have improved the wiring to the socket? Or is the power from most wall sockets normally excellent, but is limited by conventional power cables?

128x128imaninatural

@imaninatural regarding the outlets, look at light switches too. What I’ve done is started to do all the outlets in my house with commercial grade outlets and switches. The circuit that has my system was completed first. Now I’m in the process of doing the rest as time and motivation goes. I did use PS Audio Power Ports for my system, I believe it was worth it. For my other larger appliances  (refridge etc) I used hospital grade outlets. If your outlets and switches are 40yrs old, they definitely need to be updated, it could literally make all the difference. BTW power cables DO make a difference, just like anything. The concept is to get the most current you can find and have it be as clean as possible one way or the other.

It would make a lot of sense for someone to start investing in a dedicated power line before even considering expensive power cords. Vince Galbo of MSB Technology has it right:

”The single biggest goal in improving audio is to install heavier gauge wire using the following guide.

• 1 to 40 feet: 10 gauge wire
  • 40 to 60 feet: 8 gauge wire
  • Over 60 feet: 6 gauge wire

Everything else in this paper is there to be sure you get the maximum benefit from the lower resistance of heavier wire! Skipping any steps is false economy.”

I have 8 gauge copper in my dedicated line and it did make an unmistakable difference. The cost was less than $200 if I recall correctly. The electrician was $75 per hour and I bought my own cable. 

It would make a lot of sense for someone to start investing in a dedicated power line before even considering expensive power cords. Vince Galbo of MSB Technology has it right:

I agree!

...FWIW I will also correct @carlsbad on the size wire in the wall going to the outlet. It is 12 ga rather than 14. I’ve seen 14 used for light switches but not outlets...

That’s not true everywhere, there are tons of homes out there wired to code minimum with 14 wire on 15amp breakers for the basic outlets, less the fridge, microwave, etc. The spec home industry doesn’t spend an extra nickel that isn’t required.