Potting a Denon dl-103r

So I'm putting a wood body on my second Denon. When it comes to potting how much epoxy do you fill the cavity with?  Just the front cavity or is it more like a tub up to some point?
last_lemming

Showing 1 response by larryi

There are some folks who insist that more (or less) of a particular attribute is inherently desirable (e.g., increased rigidity, reduced resonance).  I don't think that is always the case.  I don't think more damping (less resonance) is necessarily better sounding.  If that damping changes the sound, it may make it sound better to you or worse, it is hard to predict the outcome.  I would note that there are plenty of ways to screw up the sound, and relatively fewer and harder to achieve means of improving something.  In other words, an sort of change is MUCH more likely to be bad than good.

The epoxy potting could also affect the effective mass of the cartridge/arm combination.  Again, who knows if that would be good or bad in any particular instance.

But, I do applaud anyone willing to take the chance and experiment, provided that a bad outcome is something the person is able to take in stride.