Placette RVC vs. Adcom GFP-750 in passive mode

Has anyone done an a/b comparison between these two units?
The Adcom does a nice job in passive mode, but I'm curious if the Placette is better, and why?
Your comments are appreciated!
myraj

Showing 2 responses by mikelavigne

Placette offers a 30 day money back guarantee; so it will cost you almost nothing (shipping...it is small and light) to try it.

i have used the Placette as my reference for 4 years and it has bettered all comers in my system (until the brand new $23K darTZeel pre showed up 2 weeks ago).

if you want a pre that is more 'not there' than any other look no further than the Placette.

OTOH make sure that you understand the requirements that passive has to function correctly in your system;

1. short interconnects from pre to amps
2. high input impedence with your amp (around 40k ohms)
3. low output impedence from your sources and sufficient output signal strength from sources.

some systems (or personal tastes) need the additional 'something' that ALMOST all active pre's contribute. if you happen to have a system that needs 'nothing'......the Placette could be for you.

if you have a record that is recorded at a very low level and can input the interconnect DIRECTLY into your amp without overloading your amps or your ears....THAT is how the Placette will sound. it will be difficult to find a CD sufficiently low level for this test. if you don't like the sound of your source input directly into your amps, you need an active pre. if you are not sure about the signal level of this experiment then don't try it.....a high volume direct line level signal into your amps can blow things up.

the Adcom is not in the class of the Placette as far as circut design and parts quality. volume attenuation is a very 'parts quality' sensitive thing. the Vishay resistors that Placette uses are very expensive and you can hear it (or rather 'not' hear it).
my Placette RVC is passive. i have not tried the Placette active pre; Guy Hummel (Mr. Placette) says that his active sounds better than his passive.

why might the active be better? i would guess that many/most systems can benefit from some advantages to active. most systems do not have ideal impedence situations, cable lengths, or the natural tonal balance, dynmaics and weight that an active pre can bring. OTOH if a system is just right in these areas an active pre will 'get in the way' of the musicial message 'to some degree'.

can all systems benefit from active? maybe the 'right' active. until i try a Placette active i'm just guessing here.

read my last few posts on my system thread by clicking on 'system' next to my name below for what i think the darTZeel does better than the Placette (and everything else i've tried).