PHONO STAGE FOR REGA RP1 or RP3

Dear all,
I'm currently in the market for a turntable - phono stage combo. This is the first turntable I'll ever own, hence I'm trying to keep it simple till I get accustomed to the analog world. I'll be most probably going for a Rega RP1 or RP3 if budget allows. Question is what would be a good phono stage for either of the two turntables. I'm looking into spending around 1500 USD or Euros.
Rest of the system consists of a KRELL KAV 400xi integrated amp and a pair of Martin Logan Clarities.
Your help would be much appreciated.
myronk
You should tell us what cartridge you anticipate using? $1500 Euros is a nice amount of money for a simple beginner's first Phono stage. Do you want to buy only new or is used OK?
Mechans,
the RP3, if I go for that after all, comes with a factory mounted Elys 2 cartridge - MM if I am not mistaken. Given my limited knowledge in analog, such a solution would be the safest one as a first step. In every case, I'd rather go for a MM & MC phono stage, only to be able to experiment with both designs. I'm looking into purchasing a new phono stage.
Thanks
The RP-3 appears to have an optional factory mounted Elys2 which is an MM cartridge. The RP1 requires you to have a cartridge installed on our own.
I was going to suggest my usual giant killer phono stage , the Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE but it is MM or HOMC only. They can be found for as little as $410 new. If you can live with an MM cart this is a great choice. I use it with a HOMC and really like what I hear. I think you can buy an upgraded power supply which would probably make it better.
The EAR 834p is within your budget if you buy the plain version (no chrome face- all black) but once again only suites MM/HOMC. This is a wideley recommended phono pre-amp.
Sorry someone else will have to chime in with MM and MC phono stages.
Spend a little more and get a real one, the Liberty Audio B2B-1 :-)

From its maker

Thanks

Peter

liberty