Pass X-250.5 or Plinius SA-103

I've ben going back and forth. Would like to go to Pass XA but can't afford it. What's the better choice here??? I'm thinking the 125 watt in class a would be better. I've never heard the SA-103. Some say the Plinius amps are noisy, but I have the itch to try one. Any thoughts?

speakers - DeVore Fidelity Nines
preamp- Pass Labs X-1
source- Esoteric X03-se
BPT 2.5 sig power conditioner
cables- Audiopath silver 8
roor

Showing 1 response by jhightower

I have owned Pass XA-60.5's, and just about every amp you can imagine (AR (VT 100MKII and solid state), BAT, Rowland, Krell, VAC, NAD Master Series, Music Reference, and lots more). Just tonight, I installed a Plinius SA 103.

Maybe I am just in a good mood tonight, but I am telling the entire audio world that this amp is a giant killer. I absolutely loved my Pass Amps; I regreted selling them until tonight. The Pass XA's were the best solid state I have ever owned. And a Nelson Pass design may be the right amp for you (but I would stay with XA is you can as my Pass X150.5 seemed a little boring by comparison)!

But let me tell you, this Plinius does exactly what I want an amp to do. Imaging the likes of which I have never heard. Punch and good dynamics without sounding at all forward or pushy. Dead quiet. Did I mention the sound stage and the revealing sound without a hint of analytical-type sound?

Just a great amp. I hope to have it for many, many years.

jeff.