Pass 150.5 vs. Pass 250.5 ?

Hi,

I have Focal Electra 1027 Be speakers and I am looking now for a new amp. I like the sound of pass amps and probably I will go for it. My only uncertainity is whether it is worth to pay more for 250.5 model ? My Focals do not seem to need so much power, so they should be just fine with 150 W/8 ohms. But are there any other considerations/experiences that are worth this additional amount of money ?
dejanm

Showing 2 responses by jond

Focal JMlabs speakers are very easy to drive, I'm driving a pair of Micro-Utopia's with about 20 tube watts. I think that the 250.5 may be overkill, the 150.5 would not only be sufficient but might sound better as well.
Audphile1 I was making a general comment on the efficiency of JMlabs designs, and since floor standing speakers are typically more efficient than monitors it stands to reason that if my monitors are efficient than a floorstanding model from the same manufacturer may be even more efficient. My comment on the 150.5 versus the 250.5 simply takes into account the commonly held, and with good reason, belief that a lower powered amp from a given manufacturer will sound better, usually sweeter and more pure, than a higher powered one. Given that, plus the fact that I've read many users who state that the 150.5 is a better sounding amp, even to the point that a tech at Pass said it to someone as well.