panasonic sa-xr45 vs marantz sr-5400

I am trying to make a decision on which of these two receivers to buy-the panasonic sa-xr 45 (soon to be xr70) or the marantz sr-5400 or marantz sr-6300-would appreciate any comments on the pros and cons of each of these receivers-thanks
franklin

Showing 2 responses by reubent

Franklin,

I have not heard the Marantz's, but I own a Panasonic SA-XR45 and it is VERY GOOD for the price! I picked mine up here used for $275 and it is a great bargain at that price. It is so good that I would bet 95% of the general public would conclude that it is the best they've ever heard. Of course, that's not saying much because 95% of the general public are "Audio Morons"!! But seriously, it is good. It is smooth sounding and has a lot of unique features like "party mode" for bi-amping a pair of speakers for double the power. It also is an ALL DIGITAL amp and if you use a digital source and use coax or optical input, it keeps the signal in the digital domain all the way through to the speaker outputs.

I have no idea if the Marantz's are digital amp technology, but if they are not, I would choose tha Panasonic.

BTW, My primary 2-channel setups are tube amp based and rather hi-end. The Panasonic is no match for my big rigs, but unlike many HT receivers I've owned, it is listenable, smooth and non-grainy. I could easily use it as my primary amp if necessary.

Also, Boulder Cable is now performing modifications on the Panasonic that take it to a whole new level and many who have heard it are considering selling off their expensive 2-channel setups to go with the mod'd Panasonic. Check this out at www.Audiocircle.com if you are interested.

Lastly, the Panasonic SA-XR45 is discontinued and out of stock nearly everywhere and is in high demand. People are bidding up the price of used ones too. Check out the "want to buy" ads here on A-goN.

The replacement XR50 will be out shortly, so you might want to wait.

Enjoy,

TIC
Vm8444,

What rock did you crawl out from under?!! Have you heard of the digital amp revolution that is coming? Obviously not, or you wouldn't make comments like that.

The Panasonic SA-XR45, 50, etc. are a new bred of receiver that are very inexpensive to build/purchase, but offer excellent sonics. There have been more than a few posters at this and other audio sites that have given up their seperates in favor of an inexpensive digital amp and a decent DVD player as the source.

BTW, I wouldn't bet on your NAD actually sounding better than the Panny. It may have more power, but who cares if you choose a speaker with relatively high sensitivity? BTW, the Panny sold for about $300 new.

BTW, I owned the $2800 B&K AVR-202 previously and I own a big dollar 2-channel rig.

You might want to do some homework!

Enjoy,

TIC