Oppo BDP-83SE or Sony SCD-XA5400ES?

Well somebody had to start this one. It may as well be me. I guess we're gonna have to base our selection on features, specs and reputation (at least as far as the Oppo is concerned). I'm mainly concerned with 2 channel analog playback with SACD and redbook. Anything else is just a bonus. The Sony has balanced outputs, is almost twice as heavy and build quality SEEMS better, has a 5 year warranty, ridiculous reviews and a the beginning of a cult-like following. The Oppo has a great rep, plays EVERYTHING, also ridiculous reviews (for every other model), ESS Sabre Ultra DACs (what does the Sony have??), seems to be upgradeable and WILL have a cult-like following. I cannot audition in my home. So I will be rolling the dice. Obviously you win whichever one you get. But which one would you go with and why?

sg69

Showing 1 response by blindjim

I'm not familiar with the Sony. I’ve had and do own a few Sony products. Same way with Oppo. Briefly perusing one review only, and not hearing either unit in question personally, I’d go with the lesser costly unit first.

Sony’s ‘sound’ usually is more forceful or dynamic if you prefer. Better impacting as opposed to the Oppo line… though not night and day, simply noticeable. Both makers offer differing perspectives to the musical venue. Your system should indicate which will better suit it’s needs.

I don’t think I’ve ever bought anything which I had immediate intentions of altering. I pass on such items as a rule.

Given the SE unit offers much more of a feature set, costs much less, and is wildly popular around here these days it seems a worthwhile buy to me. If you like it … you’re there. If not, it’ll easily resell. Who knows, the SE might also improve upon whatever DVD player you use.

Recheck the specs on the Sony as to where it excels in it’s HQAT technology… via analog or HDMI. If you do go with the Sony, MAKE SURE TO SAVE THE BOX IN A TEMP CONTROLED SPACE… especially if no service center is in your area… which can be found out too.

I use the HDMI interface on my not yet run in BDP 83 and found it very good. Impressive in fact, given it’s $500 fee. As good as my former SCD xa777 via analog SACD. Easily.

Buy the 83 SE and go from there…. If you feel the need.