Open Baffle Experience

Much has been said about open baffles, including an epic website by the late, great Dr. Linkwitz but I've only heard them really once, playing absolutely garbage music (thanks Pure Audio!) at a hotel.

I'm talking here about dynamic drivers in single baffles without enclosures, not ESLs or Magneplanar type systems.

I'm curious who has had them, and who kept them or went back to "conventional" boxes?

I'm not really looking to buy speakers, but I did start thinking about this because of a kit over at Madisound made with high quality drivers.

erik_squires

@johnnycamp5

I used to think as you do about "needing" sub/s. I have Emerald Physics 3.4s OB 12" woofer with 1" concentric tweeters. Since owning them for almost 2 years now I felt the need for sub/s, BUT, I did 2 things recently that flipped my script

1. I upgraded all my cables with Ali-Express Odin 2 and Odin Gold which is HUGE in regards to everything, but especially to lows -mids

2. I’ve had a Solid Steel vertical rack for 15+ years. Just this week I came across a local deal and bought a solid maple table top (5 x 2 x 2"), and I am FLOORED what it does for everything, but especially the bass

hth

I had too much experience with open baffle speakers, i had Diesis Audio open baffles before and they are the bes t op's imo, open baffle is very hard to find perfect place to set the speakers and everybody has an opinion like open baffle is easy to drive you need just some watts for them that the common mistake and wrong , open baffles plays all the room and you must drive them with good amplifiers produces good current except watts...

@mwatsme could you send me link to plans for your speakers? I think this is exactly what I am looking for in my listening space.

LXmini plans are available here:

Phoenix open-baffle sub plans are free from Linkwitz Labs website, here:

https://www.linkwitzlab.com/woofer.htm

The specific Phoenix[alt] version I built is here:

https://www.linkwitzlab.com/woofer3.htm

I made a slight alteration (think it was 1/4" taller?) to fit built-in Hypex FA-123 (could also fit wider FA-253), and you can build a pair of the subs with one (4’x8’) sheet of wood.

While searching for that file, I also found the in-room measurement (used REW and Omni Mic)...