One of the best tweeters ever, whatever happened?

I own a pair of the amazing Optimus 5 (yeah, that's right, RADIO SHACK) speakers with the Lineaum tweeter.

I modified them according to an old article by Dick Olsher, and am still amazed by the clean, fast, transparent high frequency reproduction they accomplish.

Anyone know whatever happened to Lineaum? Seems like a killer "reference" speaker could have been made using this amazing tweeter...

BTW -- I currently own a pair of M.L. Prodigys, so I have a good reference point for high frequency reproduction ;>)
denf
No Dweller,

They don't use the Linaeum tweeter. The Linaeum is a dipole radiator, and the Gallo tweeter is cylindrical (330 degree dispersion) You couldn't put a Gallo CDT in a box, like you could with the Linaeums.

I've never heard a linaeum, but I do know the Gallo has the sweetest, most articulate highs I've ever heard in a speaker (coming from a former owner of Magnepan 3.6's)
Sean, I was surprised you didn't chime in about the Optimus speakers the Linaeums were used in. As you are well aware, people used to stuff the ports with some VERY interesting things!
Dear Readers,

I have a pair of floor standing real Linaeum speakers each with a 8” woofer and a 6” x 6" dipolar Linaeum tweeter, and a pair of book shelf Linaeum speakers with the same model Linaeum tweeters and a the same model 8” woofer that I’ve never even hooked up.  They could make great surround sound for the use as rear or side speakers or great speakers on their own.  If you have any interest in buying any of them, please let me know.

Best regards,

George S. Louis, Phone:  619-401-9876, email:  [email protected]

This is a very old thread, containing some contradictory information. The op identified his speaker as the Optimus 5, denf then mistakenly thinking it was the Optimus Pro LX4 that was being referred to. Actually, there was both an Optimus Pro LX4 and a Pro LX5, a pair of the latter which I still own.

I missed Dick Olsher’s mod to the speaker in Fi magazine. I like Olsher a lot, Fi not so much. Does anyone have a copy of Volume 1 Issue 4? A photocopy of the article for $ would be greatly appreciated!---Eric.

I have both the Fi magazine article/ magazine and the speakers.
IMO,the speakers are nothing great. The box that Radio shack put them in is a piece of junk. The tweeter is easily bested by numerous other designs, including silk domes and any number of ribbons.
i do remember how they were praised to the heavens, which is why I acquired two pairs...they were not expensive, but as usual, you got what you paid for, imho.