Ohm Walsh Micro Talls: who's actually heard 'em?

Hi,

I'd love to hear the impressions of people who've actually spent some time with these speakers to share their sense of their plusses and minuses. Mapman here on Audiogon is a big fan, and has shared lots on them, but I'm wondering who else might be familiar with them.
rebbi
vidiot33 -- you've summed things up nicely, but I'll add a comment about fit & finish. The 1000s I bought a year ago are quite nicely done. Nothing fancy, but a good finish. I had demoed a set of 200s something over a decade ago (and didn't keep them at) and they were indeed somewhat subpar in the veneer's surface finish quality. The 1000s I now have are heads and tails above the 200s in this regard. No complaints on my part (or my wife's) as they look great in our room.
Thanks guys, for your thoughts. What I may do is audition both and send back the set that is least satisfactory. Should be an interesting experiment...

Hi everyone

I’ve been lurking here recently, trawling through as many posts as I can going as far back as 2010 and I’ve gotten as far as Peters very interesting modifications.

I have recently stumbled on to the ohm Walsh tall review by the audiophiloac and it’s piqued my interest. It’s been endless reading and researching since then.

I have a situation which seems similar to Accurus back in 2017. My present setup is a Magnepan 3.7 powered by pass labs 350.5 and I’ve been considering a change for sometime. A change because first, I have newborn twins, so I imagine it’s just a matter of time before they get their tiny fingers into the ribbons. Two, I’ve got a small listening space that’s not quite optimal for the Maggie’s. The space is also relatively live sounding due to brick walls and concrete flooring. Three, I’ve noticed over the years of listening to Maggie’s that I tailor my listening to very specific music that sounds good on the Maggie’s, and that really limits the exploration of a diversity of content.

I have always been a music first audio Enthusiant, so point three really bothers me. Why am I not enjoying certain types of music anymore, such as rock and pop? With that in mind I’ve embarked on exploring new vocal chords for my audio system. (speakers). I’ve looked and listened to spatials and even considered blindly purchasing the well reviewed pure audio project speakers and as of right now the ohms sounds (theoretically) like it could be a winner within a Budget. I have contacted Evan and as I’ve found out, there’s no possible way to audition these speakers apart from a home trial. Which is a bit of a small issue as I live in Singapore. 

I will be headed to North Tahoe late September for some mountain biking and was also hoping to find a retailer or some way to audition but to no avail. It also seems like I would have just missed the Rocky Mountain Audio show which is going on now. 

So at the risk of sounding brusque, I shall gently ask if there would be any kind soul in California willing to let a curious stranger listen to their ohms. It is a lot to ask and I would be highly appreciative of the gesture. 

Barring that, I would love to hear opinions about what could possibly deliver the large soundstage that I’m used to from the Magnepan while still being friendly to smaller rooms and curious young children.  

Thank you in advance and have a good day! 

@fyusmal....Although I would be pleased to have you over for demo of my 2000s, I live in New Jersey, so you would have to alter your travel plans. I am very close to Newark Liberty Airport, about 10 minutes away.

I am totally with you on the music limitations thing. Some speakers are tuned to work best with classical, or acoustic jazz, or even any well recorded music. The beauty of my Ohms is that, while they don’t turn a pig’s ear into a silk purse, you get the feeling that you at least understand why the engineers on a poor recording made the choices they did. For example, they really wanted the guitar to dominate, and the drums were sacrificed to emphasize the guitar. But I listen to a very wide variety of genres, and I enjoy them all on the Ohms.

A true story: An audiophile friend with nearly $200,000 invested in his rig had speakers that were custom made to his specifications, complete with huge outboard crossovers, & powered subs.

This audiophile is a hardcore classical music fan and choir members. On his classical and opera recordings, his system is amazing. On one visit I asked him to indulge me and let me play a great, but poorly recorded CD of psychobilly by The Reverend Horton Heat on his system. It was AWFUL. Completely unlistenable. On my Ohms, my feet are tapping, and my head is bobbin’, and my hand is slapping a big imaginary standup bass.

I have heard some great panel speakers, costing $25,000 or more, but none I would trade my modest Ohm 2000s for.
Thanks, Mapman, for your thoughts regarding the Tektons v the Ohms. Would you elaborate further on what you perceived as the differences between the two, aside from the greater efficiency of the Tektons?