New vs Used when buying please share thoughts

Hi!
I would like to get peoples thoughts on new vs.used equipment. Is there anything you should not buy used such as speakers due to warrenty loss etc.. I am in the begining stages of setting up a system. I thought why not pose the question before I get knee deep in the buying process. I am new to the hifi world, and would like the comments from people who are in the know. If used is the way to go is Audiogon the place to buy it? Are there any pitfalls I should watch out for? I want to thank people in advance for responding to this thread. I think your responses will make my decision clearer. Again Thanks to everyone.
saint2

Showing 1 response by mt10425

You know, some of us live in very rural areas and don't even have a real opportunity to buy new. I've been buying and selling used through audiogon for a while. You get to know what kind of people you're dealing with usually after an e-mail or two. Some are serious and some are tire-kickers asking extra questions that are either already addressed in the ads or available on product websites. I've begun to have dealings internationally. Some great people in Europe. It's not a bad thing to have a blend of both new and used. As one other person said they don't keep long enough for a warranty to matter, but return policies are easier locally. Most A'goners set fair prices on their used equipment but still negotiate a bit. Then there are those, who no matter how low the price is, still offer ridiculously lower amounts. Funny how many of these items bought for next to nothing end up back for sale at twice the price paid. It's annoying and the reason you'll see some of the "don't jerk me around" specifics in some ads. I've been pretty lucky in my dealings with buyers/sellers on Audiogon, with only a very few items arriving at just a bit less than advertised ( some things suprisingly say "demo") but still acceptable. I find most fair and honest because we have multiple dealings and can't afford bad feedback. Best of luck.