New owner of used Cary 306 SACD

Friends, am very excited to add this player to my arsenal as my first high end player. It will be paired to a Halcro MC20 driving Newform Research speakers. I will be running the Cary directly to the amp. Had an Atma Sphere pre amp that caused a stubborn humm. Have been running an old Ah Tjoeb directly to the Halcro with no ill effects.
Would appreciate any suggetions from you Cary owners regarding platform for the unit, spikes, settings or any other helpful tweaks.
Many thanks,
David
deliberate1

Showing 2 responses by electroid

Del- you have indeed done well. It is a great player. I was grateful to have the chance to try out a 306. I would give it a try with a passive linestage if I were you. It certainly has the balls for it!

ET
I had a friend selling his 306 and could get it for a great price. I wanted it bad. Doing an A/B comparison with my Trivista SACD made me pass on it. It has even more output at a lower impedance than my Trivista which is nice in my passive setup. Listening tests quickly confirmed one player better than the other. While SACD playback was similar on the two the Trivista smoked it on redbook. I didn't want that to happen! Image and soundstage were similar, bass a little more or better on the Cary but the mids and HF were so much better on the Tri. The Cary had a digital edge and harshness. Bummer! I wanted that player. I want to hear a 306 Pro as I know when my Tri transport goes it becomes a very big DAC. There are no more transports or parts for it.

ET