New DACs High End Munich 2023

I am now searching for a new DAC to replace my Oppo UDP-205 and High End Munich 2023 was the event I was waiting for to hear about new announcements.

I know that Auralic and Total DAC have introduced new DACs and Primare has new modules. Anyone hear any other DACs being released in the next 2-3 months?

128x128milpai

Would definitely look at R2R ladder DACs: Denafrips Terminator II 12th Anniversary at $5,000 would be at the top. The Musician Aquarius at $3,200, and the Holo Audio May DAC KTE are next best…..but hard earned cash would be on the Terminator 

As a reminder and in relation to 'New'.

The owner of the Denafrips Venus II that is now with the latest Firmware added, no longer feels the need to seek out an alternative model or discuss having a DAC built. This is a very seasoned user of HiFi Equipment, who has experienced a substantial amount of equipment in use, it looks like the Venus II has raised the bar.

The T+A DAC200 is a great DAC. But great and superlative are two different

sonic worlds IMO. Buy a DAC that you won’t feel the need to upgrade in a year or two. Then there’s the world of the Denafrips Terminator level of performance. You’ll be satisfied for a time but eventually…

When you are selective and pay more sometimes you’ll get the quality of performance that won’t give you the upgraditis maximus in a few years time. Do yourself a favor and look into brands like Audio Note and Playback Designs. Those who have heard, reviewed over time or had purchased a Playback Designs MPD-8 find it a keeper. Fast forward two three years and they still happily own that unit. Go read the reviews.

People do not want to fork out such $$$ for a DAC but if it’s digital audio bliss that rivals analog and gives new life and appreciation for Redbook CDs/files one should consider that investment. Eventually trickle-down technology may offer sonics that approach the level of an MPD-8 or a DAC5 but who knows when that will be. The quality is there today. Worth a listen.

Buy a DAC that you won’t feel the need to upgrade in a year or two

So, if you notice my system, I am long time "keeper. I am not a person who sells within 4-5 years. Most of my components are long term and I try to derive maximum joy before moving on. I am sure that whether I get a Okto or T+A or Holo or Dana or whatever - I am not going to change because there is something new in the market.

But I do appreciate your advice and it is taken well. Playback is a great DAC. Will consider used ones.

The Playback piece is superlative and the trickle down is already here…in the form of the Playback Edelweiss MPD-6 - still well over $5k however