Negotiating when buying demo and used speakers from a dealer

Hi,

I'm buying a new set of speakers. I'm getting close to making a decision and now I'm thinking about price flexibility on the vendor's part.

For example, today I saw a pair of Monitor GX200s that I quite liked. They're not the current model, one back, going for CDN $2399 (about USD$1850). Dealer said they were trade-ins. They looked immaculate. Haven't listened to them yet.

Here in Ontario I would pay an additional 13% in sales tax.

The vendor isn't an authorized dealer for these particular speakers. They sell a variety of quality equipment that range in price from around $1,000 to who-knows-how-much. They actually do a pretty good job of moving stuff. I go in from time to time and can see their inventory turnover. (Hard to miss a missing pair Acapellas). I live a little north of Toronto and there are easily at least 6 other high-end shops within easy driving distance.

If I do buy these speakers, should I just pay the asking price? If not, are there negotiating strategies that people can offer up?

By way of comparison, I can purchase a pair of Omen Defs, circa 7 years old, for $1450. (Have to drive 2 hours each way). No tax because it is a private sale. He's already come down from his asking price of $1750.

~Jim

128x128jimspov

Showing 1 response by ejr1953

Back when I was in the audio business most speakers had about 50%  profit margin in their list price, when new.  Like that new automobile, as soon as the speaker leaves the dealer, it depreciates a lot (why would one pay close to new price, and not get a manufacturer's warranty?)  If these speakers were previously-owned and a current model, I'd say getting close to 50% off list would be a good starting point, especially if the speaker line is not carried by that dealership.