Need help selecting a preamp under $1500

As some of you might know from my other post, I want to extend my current setup with a turntable.

Currently, I have a pretty low grade system:
Turntable: 1200 MK2
Integrated Amp/Dac - Decco2 (45W RMS)
Desktop speakers: John Blue JB3

The decco is connected to my mac mini for digital audio.
My turntable requires a cartridge, which I'm not buying until I decide on a preamp.

Over the past 2 weeks I have been reading as much as possible on what might be a good solution. Basically, I am debating between buying a vintage integradeted amp / receiver with good phono section, or adding a preamp for the phono.

I know that a really good preamp might be an overkill given the rest of my component, but I usually like to buy one item and keep it rather than keep upgrading. In other words, if I end up buying a high quality amp in the future, I would rather stay with the phono section that I'll buy now.

Another point: I am not planning on ever scaling to a $10K+ audio system, so no need to to go too crazy. I just want to ensure that I'll achieve a satisfying LP exeperience, so I am looking for the sweet spot that delivers most of the value rather than marginal improvements. I'd also rather buy used, since I think you end up with more value.

As far as music goes, I listen mostly to classic rock (Pink Floyd, Mark Knofler, Led Zeppelin), as well as light jazz and classical music. Since I live in an apartment, and I have kids, listening volume is moderate. I am looking for something musical / romantic rather than analytical and flat, so I am leaning toward tube ones.

The next upgrade will be speakers or power amp (assuming that I'll go with a preamp now, and that the Peachtree will not be powerful enough to power the next gen speakers).

Some preamp on the list:
1. Arc SP series (not sure which one)
2. Conrad Johnson PV12
3. Mcintosh MX110
4. Dynaco Pass 3X
5. Project Tube
6. Jolida JD9
7. Balleri 330

Somre receivers / integrated:
1. Mcintosh 1900
2. Mcintosh 6200
3. Mcintosh 4100
4. Fisher 400/500
5. Vintage Marantz

Clearly there's a big price differentation between these items, and cheaper would be better, so of the above (or other products in the same price range), do the cheaper options captures 95% of the benefits of the more expensive ones?

Which one would you suggest that I'll go with?

Thanks for your help!
tk1212

Showing 1 response by jmcgrogan2

You just missed out. I just sold a VAC Auricle preamp w/ MM phono stage for $1000. I don't think that could be beaten by anything under $2000 (maybe even under $3000).
Keep a look out, they are very hard to find, but well worth the investment, IMHO.

Mechans Cary (AE) is also a solid recommendation.