Naim?

I’ve never heard a Naim amp but would like to. The 500DR amp is only 140 watts a channel and costs 35k!! Also it only weighs 50lbs? What the hell could be in this thing that would make it worth a quarter of that? Also they pride themselves on using what sounds good not what’s necessarily expensive. No fancy casework no bling. So I don’t think there is anything special in there component wise, I could be wrong. This thing costs 700 bucks a lb?? Don’t hear much about naim separates on here what ye all say??

mofojo

Showing 2 responses by tomic601

Markus - right on ! In the spring have ya over for a listen, I am in Seattle then.

jim

What’s in the rest of your system ? i have three NAIM components, 2X Unitiserve both w affordable and excellent Pardo LPS. Back in the day you would be hard pressed to buy a better sounding server, it has since been displaced ..but not for less money. I also have the Uniti Atom which includes preamp /streamer / 40 wpc LiL mulekicker of a power amp. A great all in one sans phono preamp. Atom is about $3,500. I have heard the higher end seperates and frankly don’t see value unless you are a NAIM fanatic including the old skool speakers. My liquid cooled made in USA monoblocks are a mere $208 per pound…..

Jim