My Long List of Amplifiers and My Personal Review of Each!

So I have been in a long journey looking to find the best amplifiers for my martin logan montis. As you know, the match between an amplifier and speakers has to be a good "marriage" and needs to be blend exquisitely. Right now, I think I might have found the best sounding amplifier for martin logan. I have gone through approximately 34-36 amplifiers in the past 12 months. Some of these are:

Bryston ST, SST, SST2 series
NAD M25
PARASOUND HALO
PARASOUND CLASSIC
KRELL TAS
KRELL KAV 500
KRELL CHORUS
ROTEL RMB 1095
CLASSE CT 5300
CLASSE CA 2200
CLASSE CA 5200
MCINTOSH MC 205
CARY AUDIO CINEMA 7
OUTLAW AUDIO 755
LEXICON RX7
PASS LABS XA 30.8
BUTLER AUDIO 5150
ATI SIGNATURE SERIES 6005

With all that said, the amplifiers I mentioned above are the ones that in my opinion are worth mentioning. To make a long story short, there is NO 5 CHANNEL POWER AMP that sounds as good as a 3ch and 2ch amplifier combination. i have done both experiments and the truth is that YOU DO lose details and more channel separation,etc when you select a 5 channel power amplifier of any manufacturer.
My recollection of what each amp sounded like is as follows:

ATI SIGNATURE SERIES 6005 (great power and amazing soundstage. Very low noise floor, BUT this amplifiers NEEDS TO BE cranked up in order to fully enjoy it. If you like listening at low volume levels or somewhat moderate, you are wasting your time here. This amp won’t sound any different than many other brands out there at this volume. The bass is great, good highs although they are a bit bright for my taste)

NAD M25 (very smooth, powerful, but somewhat thin sounding as far as bass goes)
Bryston sst2(detailed, good soundstage, good power, but can be a little forward with certain speakers which could make them ear fatiguing at loud volumes)

Krell (fast sounding, nice bass attack, nice highs, but some detail does get lost with certain speakers)

rotel (good amp for the money, but too bright in my opinion)

cary audio (good sound overall, very musical, but it didn’t have enough oomph)

parasound halo (good detail, great bass, but it still holds back some background detail that i can hear in others)

lexicon (very laid back and smooth. huge power, but if you like more detail or crisper highs, this amp will disappoint you)

McIntosh mc205 (probably the worst multichannel amp given its price point. it was too thin sounding, had detail but lacked bass.

butler audio (good amplifier. very warm and smooth sweet sounding. i think for the money, this is a better amp than the parasound a51)

pass labs (very VERY musical with excellent bass control. You can listen to this for hours and hours without getting ear fatigue. however, it DOES NOT do well in home theater applications if all you have is a 2 channel set up for movies. The midrange gets somewhat "muddy" or very weak sounding that you find yourself trying to turn it up.

classe audio (best amplifier for multi channel applications. i simply COULDNT FIND a better multi channel amplifier PERIOD. IT has amazing smoothness, amazing power and good bass control although i would say krell has much better bass control)

Update: The reviews above were done in January 2015. Below is my newest update as of October 2016:

PS AUDIO BHK 300 MONOBLOCKS: Amazing amps. Tons of detail and really amazing midrange. the bass is amazing too, but the one thing i will say is that those of you with speakers efficiency of 87db and below you will not have all the "loudness" that you may want from time to time. These amps go into protection mode when using a speaker such as the Salon, but only at very loud levels. Maybe 97db and above. If you don’t listen to extreme crazy levels, these amps will please you in every way.

Plinius Odeon 7 channel amp: This is THE BEST multichannel amp i have ever owned. Far , but FAR SUPERIOR to any other multichannel amp i have owned. In my opinion it destroyed all of the multichannel amps i mentioned above and below. The Odeon is an amp that is in a different tier group and it is in a league of its own. Amazing bass, treble and it made my center channel sound more articulate than ever before. The voices where never scrambled with the action scenes. It just separated everything very nicely.

Theta Dreadnaught D: Good detailed amp. Looks very elegant, has a pleasant sound, but i found it a tad too bright for my taste. I thought it was also somewhat "thin" sounding lacking body to the music. could be that it is because it is class d?

Krell Duo 300: Good amp. Nice and detailed with enough power to handle most speakers out there. I found that it does have a very nice "3d" sound through my electrostatics. Nothing to fault here on this amp.
Mark Levinson 532H: Great 2 channel amp. Lots of detail, amazing midrange which is what Mark Levinson is known for. It sounds very holographic and will please those of you looking for more detail and a better midrange. As far as bass, it is there, but it is not going to give you the slam of a pass labs 350.5 or JC1s for example. It is great for those that appreciate classical music, instrumental, etc, but not those of you who love tons of deep bass.

It is articulate sounding too
Krell 7200: Plenty of detail and enough power for most people. i found that my rear speakers contained more information after installed this amp. One thing that i hated is that you must use xlr cables with this amp or else you lose most of its sound performance when using RCA’s.

Krell 402e: Great amp. Very powerful and will handle any speaker you wish. Power is incredible and with great detail. That said, i didn’t get all the bass that most reviewers mentioned. I thought it was "ok" in regards to bass. It was there, but it didn’t slam me to my listening chair.

Bryston 4B3: Good amp with a complete sound. I think this amp is more laid back than the SST2 version. I think those of you who found the SST2 version of this amp a little too forward with your speakers will definitely benefit from this amp’s warmth. Bryston has gone towards the "warm" side in my opinion with their new SST3 series. As always, they are built like tanks. I wouldn’t call this amp tube-like, but rather closer to what the classe audio delta 2 series sound like which is on the warm side of things.

Parasound JC1s: Good powerful amps. Amazing low end punch (far superior bass than the 402e). This amp is the amp that i consider complete from top to bottom in regards to sound. Nothing is lacking other than perhaps a nicer chassis. Parasound needs to rework their external appearance when they introduce new amps. This amp would sell much more if it had a revised external appearance because the sound is a great bang for the money. It made my 800 Nautilus scream and slam. Again, amazing low end punch.

Simaudio W7: Good detailed amp. This amp reminds me a lot of the Mark Levinson 532h. Great detail and very articulate. I think this amp will go well with bookshelves that are ported in order to compensate for what it lacks when it comes to the bass. That doesn’t mean it has no bass, but when it is no Parasound JC1 either.
Pass labs 350.5: Wow, where do i begin? maybe my first time around with the xa30.8 wasn’t as special as it was with this monster 350.5. It is just SPECTACULAR sounding with my electrostatics. The bass was THE BEST BASS i have ever heard from ANY amp period. The only amp that comes close would be the jC1s. It made me check my settings to make sure the bass was not boosted and kept making my jaw drop each time i heard it. It totally destroyed the krell 402e in every regard. The krell sounded too "flat" when compared to this amp. This amp had amazing mirange with great detail up top. In my opinion, this amp is the best bang for the money. i loved this amp so much that i ended up buying the amp that follows below.

Pass labs 250.8: What can i say here. This is THE BEST STEREO AMP i have ever heard. This amp destroys all the amps i have listed above today to include the pass labs 350.5. It is a refined 350.5 amp. It has more 3d sound which is something the 350.5 lacked. It has a level of detail that i really have never experienced before and the bass was amazing as well. I really thought it was the most complete power amplifier i have ever heard HANDS DOWN. To me, this is a benchmark of an amplifier. This is the amp that others should be judged by. NOTHING is lacking and right now it is the #1 amplifier that i have ever owned.

My current amps are Mcintosh MC601s: i decided to give these 601s a try and they don’t disappoint. They have great detail, HUGE soundstage, MASSIVE power and great midrange/highs. The bass is great, but it is no pass labs 250.8 or 350.5. As far as looks, these are the best looking amps i have ever owned. No contest there. i gotta be honest with you all, i never bought mcintosh monos before because i wasn’t really "wowed" by the mc452, but it could have been also because at that time i was using a processor as a preamp which i no longer do. Today, i own the Mcintosh C1100 2 chassis tube preamp which sounds unbelievable. All the amps i just described above have been amps that i auditioned with the C1100 as a preamp. The MC601s sound great without a doubt, but i will say that if you are looking for THE BEST sound for the money, these would not be it. However, Mcintosh remains UNMATCHED when it comes to looks and also resale value. Every other amp above depreciates much faster than Mcintosh.

That said, my future purchase (when i can find a steal of a deal) will be the Pass labs 350.8. I am tempted to make a preliminary statement which is that i feel this amp could be THE BEST stereo amp under 30k dollars. Again, i will be able to say more and confirm once i own it. I hope this update can help you all in your buying decisions!

128x128jays_audio_lab

Showing 50 responses by chazzzy007

@whitecamaross How much music listening do you do during a typical week/weekend???
@whitecamaross My balanced power unit needed about 200 hours to break in fully and continued to make subtle improvements till between 400-500 hours. At 50 or so hours is when it just began to start making improvements. You have to be patient with the P20.
@whitecamaross

Maybe you want to wait a week or so before you consider changing out any cables. You have a new P10, and Bel Canto Black breaking in. Meanwhile your old components were unplugged and boxed for the move. Just about every component in your system is going to be settling in and changing sound over the next week or 2.

Happy listening! 👍
@whitecamaross

I was just going to ask the basic differences between the Bel Canto and Ref 10 and read your last post. The Ref 10 along with the Black and Luxman seem to be have been the top of the food chain in your now several year journey. I’d be interested to hear more of your thoughts on what makes these pre’s different from each other. Each of their strengths as well as weaknesses vs each other and how they compare broadly. Not necessarily which is better,  but more how they compare. 

Happy Easter! 🙌
I’d love to hear your thoughts on the Gryphon. I thinks it’s to the more detailed, cooler, dynamic side of neutral like the Black. I’d love to see how it compares to the Ref 10 and Black. Whenever you can pick up any of the top BAT pre-amps, digital or tube, but especially the Rex 2, I’d love to hear how those compare. 👍
On the Gryphon... I think we will find that @ between 14-16K on the used market it offers quite a bit of value on the high end scale and will compare reasonably well with the Black. To be sure the Black will be on a different level but for 1/3 of the Black price I think we will get in the same ballpark performance. We shall see... 

On cables. Sounds like next week it will be to to put in some copper interconnects to see how much that will darken the Black's presentation. 

@rshad0000 I have a BAT VK-6200 amp and I like it fir the same reasons you like the Gryphon. It's just on the warm side of Neutral versus your Gryphon's slightly cooler presentation. 

On Oppo... Wow,  a very sad day for videophiles and entry-level audiophiles. I just bought a Modwright 205, and it's being delivered tomorrow. Wonder who will pick up that Mantle? Panasonic is releasing a 205 level Player in the Fall. The DP-UB9000. We'll see how that turns out. 
So at the moment the sound-stage with the Black is more impressive than the sound-stage with the Ref 10/Pass???
@whitecamaross 

Right now you're liking the Black more plugged straight into the outlet, but all you're doing is raising the noise floor with the electrical grunge which is softening the highs but also smearing the subtle sonic details. I use balanced power and I get the same effect when I A/B though the balanced power vs outlet. The Black is just bright at the moment. If you keep the Black you may need to find some good copper interconnects or cables or both. The Copper will warm up the sound vs the silver you have now which is much more neutral or maybe even a bit cool depending on what you are using. I'd suggest trying a good Copper IC first before adding speaker cables as well, but wait a bit longer, 400-500 hours before you change out any cables. Your Black still need lots of break in time. 

Looking forward to you auditioning the Gryphon. 👍
@whitecamaross 

Pair your Ref 10 with a BAT VK-655se and you will take your system to another level. The current delivery with the 655se is high, 300 watts into 8 ohms and doubles down into 4 ohms so it will bring out the best in your PL500's and Revels. It's neutral warm, musical, detailed and extremely dynamic. The 655se comes as either a mono-block or stereo amp.

If you put the BAT in your system you will not take it out. 👍
@whitecamaross 

My guess would be better shielding with the new Ethernet cable. It also could be that your new router has a lower noise floor as well or a combination of both. 
Stay away from the NADs and Class D. I had the M27 for 2 years. It was smooth, reasonably detailed, and threw a wide soundstage but had no life. 

Get yourself a BAT 655se and be done with it. Or get a 4 channel VK-6200 and bi -amp it (400 watts into 8 ohms and 800 into 4 ohms) just to get a taste of the sublime BAT sound before you invest in a 655se. You need great current delivery and the BATs have that as well as detail,  soundstaging , dynamics and just the right touch of warmth. 

Call Larry @the Palace and ask him how good BAT amplifiers are. His reference system at home uses bi-amped VK-6200's. 👍👍👍

I’m listening to Enya right now at what I consider low/moderate levels and the ABC apps sound meter says my music is about 60 DB.

Much of the music I listen to is much much more dynamic and quite a bit louder. Because of where I live I can never listen as loud as I'd like. 
@whitecamaross 

Lolz! 🙌🙌🙌

I've got a pair of Denon AHD 5000's and Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO/80's. 

I haven't used them in 3 or 4 years. 🍻
@bill_k 

Apologies if I came across as harsh. Class D was smooth,  and overall pleasant. When it came to critical listening though it left me wanting more and I couldn't quite put my finger on it except that I knew something was missing. Subtle harmonics, low level detail and absolute control of my speakers especially in the Bass. It got 85 or 90 percent right,  but that last 15'ish percent is what really makes music come alive and makes you want to close your eyes and listen for hours. 
BAT 655se >>> ARC REF250SE or D’Agostino Momentum.
The BAT is going to have the ability to deliver current to difficult to drive speakers like the Momentum with a warmth more reminiscent of tubes like the ARC. It’s superior to both in that regard.

@bill_k 

I've never heard them together on the same systems, but I do live with the 655se's baby brother the VK-6200. It is 10 year older technology the 655se but still absolutely sublime. Detailed, neutral warm, airy highs, liquid mids and very dynamic. The sound-stage it throws is huge, and it has absolute control of the bass in both my 2 channel and 5.1 setup.
@whitecamaross

It’s amazing what great current delivery does with a great set of speakers isn’t it? Speakers only really sing and sound their best when they get ALL the current they need. 👍
@whitecamaross 

The reason you're hearing more now that you're connected to the P20 is the lowered noise floor. I have balanced power in my system and it's the same effect. Even my sub catches subtle details that help create a better sense of space in both music and movies.

Welcome to advanced power conditioning... 👍
Bravo to Larry for helping you set up the Adcom shoot-out! For those of you out there considering an amp or any kind of major purchase,  be sure to give Larry at High End Palace a call. I bought my BAT from him and my experience was A+. 👍
Anytime you have something unplugged and moved, there will be a settling in process for the equipment to sound it's best again.

If an amp is brand new, there is a process that usually lasts at least a couple hundred hours or more for the amp to settle in and the sound-stage to open up and the amp to sound it's best.
I think the Gryphon + Ref 10 is going to have great synergy and remind you a lot of the Black. The Gryphon is neutral, revealing and dynamic. I think that’s gonna be a really good pairing with the Ref 10 giving you back a bit of warmth the Black didn’t have. 
Looking forward to hearing a more in depth description of the 925's sound signatures strengths and weaknesses compared to some of the other amps you've had. 👍
@whitecamaross 

You should let the amp settle in completely and get used to it's signature first before adding cables and power cords. Maybe 1 week of listening and being powered on 24/7.

Now you're not going to be able to assess how the cables are adding to the mix vs the 925's re-breaking in. 

I know it's tough with new toys but slowing down a little will help with the accuracy of your evaluations. 👍
@charles1dad 

Agreed. 

@whitecamaross 

With the level of equipment you're now using,  going slower would be better. Do a YouTube channel so we can all enjoy the listening sesh's together. 

As @guidocorona would say... 

Saluti, C

@charles1dad

It’s interesting though that the reason @whitecamaross is liking the Luxman/Rowland combo more is because it sounds more ’tubelike’ which is why in general the tube pre-amp + solid state amp usually is a winner especially with difficult to drive speakers. The Ref 10 and the Rowland’s more neutral presentations play into that no doubt.
@whitecamaross 

Keep your comparisons product vs product,  better or worse in one area vs another. Outside of the products themselves there is no other subjective point of reference. This synergy speak you talk about is pointless. 

whitecamaross OP
636 posts06-01-2018 5:32amCan’t really say one is worse than the other. Do you really think that at this level of equipment youll find bad sound? Probably not. At this level everything is so close in terms of sound that it becomes a matter of what you want.

There are always areas where there are differences and one product betters another. For instance you said the REF 10 throws a bigger deeper soundstage than your Luxman, but the Luxman is sweeter (warmer) which is why you prefer it. However one man’s warm is another man’s neutral or analytical and I’ve noticed you tend to like warm sounding gear.

So , yes I do think there are always areas where products differ, detail, soundstage width, depth and layering, musicality, macro and micro dynamics, and in all these areas one product is going to be better than or inferior to another.
I'd never call the Diablo ugly. It's minimalist, uncluttered and modern. I quite appreciate it's looks and sound. 
@david_ten 

If you re-read the entire thread I think you'll find that WCSS's tastes go to the very warm side of the spectrum. His bright might be your neutral but very musical.
@whitecamaross 

You went from Wireworld 7 to Gold 8?
What model 7 did you come from???
What are the differences you are hearing???
Riaa there's been I think 2 Diablos listed in the last 6 months and they were both at about the same price. Thank you for the information. =)
coltrane1215 posts06-22-2018 1:35pmNot a single tube amp? What a pity.
Well since it's common knowledge that great SS blows away tubes there's no need... ;)
Nice to see you opened the Focals up. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on them. 👍

grey9hound
329 posts08-04-2018 6:12amMusicality is better than extreme or hyper detail .
Who wants to have something you can’t turn up past 75 db without ripping your F’N ears off. Give me musicality all day !! Highly detailed amps or system is ok... if you never turn it up , but what fun is that .I want something i can listen to all night and day .
Is the hyper detailed system supposed to impress.If so ,who ..... yourself and or your friends . It might be impressive for the first 10 minutes,but If you cannot listen for more than 30 minutes before you can’t take it anymore , that’s NO GOOD !

In a properly set up system we strive for detail and musicality, as well as a balanced 3 dimensional presentation with plenty of air between the instruments and depth in the soundstage.

You don’t necessarily have to give up musicality to gain the other attributes and there are multiple paths to achieve this. 
Thought I'd chime in here.
I had a busy time with work for about  a year and haven;t been able to contribute since late last year. Just recently got something of an upgrade itch again so I began getting caught up on about page 80. That was several weeks ago and I am still only on page 118. Thanks to all of you who have made this such a great thread! On page 117 or thereabouts you group-called out Tech-Troll. Well done! :D

Thank you WC for sharing so much of your journey with us. I for one cannot believe the patience you have shown with a number of posters who seem to be on here to only haze you. Lampizator was such a great find for me and lots of you here. I went through something similar when I upgraded my Oppo 205 with a tube output stage via Modwright. Lampizator is now on my radar.

Looking forward to getting current with you all in a few weeks.
Cheers! :)
@whitecamaross 
Are you aware that posters on other threads actively warn people away from this thread because of one of your "regulars"? 

I posted a quote from one of those threads a few days ago but someone had a mod delete it. 

About 60 pages ago Viber posted he was done posting on this thread and then about a day later he returned. Sad.... 👎
@whitecamaross 

There's a Simaudio 860 V 2 for sale on the Gon right now... 👍

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving... 🍻
@whitecamaross 

I have a BAT SS amp, and I can hear clear differences in musicality and the ability to capture fine details in music at about 90 minutes, 4 hours and 24 hours. I've found that it only begins to really sing and sound it's absolute best somewhere between 3-4 days of 24/7 powered on.