My 1st Tube Equipment Experience

I just purchased a used Herron Audio VTSP-3A(r02) tube preamp, as a replacement for a NAD M12.  I paired the M12 with a NAD M22 v2.  My first impressions are the M12 has more detail, the VTSP is much warmer, which is what I wanted.  The VTSP sound is definitely different.  And while it lacks the M12 detail, I do like it.  

With the M12, my speakers were dead silent when music was not playing.  With the VTSP, I hear a slight hiss when I put my ear very near a speaker.  With the M12, I used XLR from the M12 to the M22; XLR from my Parasound JC3 jr; and RCA from my Liberty DAC.  With the VTSP, everything now is RCA.

Is a little hiss common when using a tube preamp and SS power amp with RCA cables?
128x128oldschool1948
@jmolsberg.  I see said the blind man!

I'm not yet sure what mode the Heron is set to.  I like what I hear now, but I'm definitely going to play with the M22 and Heron gain modes today to see what happens.  

Thanks to everyone for your help.  I'm really enjoying my 1st tube preamp experience.
@oldschool (:

that is one fine pre amp good sir. and if you bought it new, it is only get better. match this to the Herron VTPH-2A!
@jmolsberg.  I bought it used.  The VTPH-2A would be a nice addition I’m sure - if I could only sneak it in the house without my wife noticing (:

Herron gain was set to Low.  I set it to High and left the M12 at Mid.  I had to lower the volume to around 35.  Sounds OK, but I like it better the way it was.  I’m going to play with different combinations later today.  Of course, the tweeter hiss is a little louder in the High position.
The tube hiss probably because of poor AC filtering.  Adding a choke ot filter the AC may help and may also add the details back.

Happy Listening.
All of my components are plugged into a Furman Elite-15 PF power conditioner. The Furman is plugged into a PS Audio receptacle, which is connected to a dedicated AC line.  I use WireWorld and VooDoo power cables; with a VooDoo cable to the Herron.

Regarding the AC filter, are you referring to something like this:
https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/da-t-ac-filter-high-performance-audiophile-super-power-purifier-filter-for-audio-and-video.html  

I was researching the viability of using an RCA to XLR cable, with RCA on the Herron and XLR on the M22.  Might that help, or is it a bad idea.