Muse TDA1793 DAC

I got this DAC from ebay after reading reviews and my curiosity for a DAC that might be cheap and good.

It sounds good, quite good...but there is a problem and I am turing to those who might know more than I.

The highs are scratchy and "old record sounding" Its like a bad record playing in the high range only {tweeters}. Not noticeable at low volumes unless your ear is next to the tweeter. I played direct bypassing the dac and the noise is gone so it is not my speakers. Turn it up and its bad. I did not notice this when I first got it but that does not mean it was not there...just never noticed. I have only had it 2 weeks with minimal listening...maybe 30 hours run through it.

Could this be the chip? Power cord? Bad DAC? Anyone?

db
photodusty

Showing 2 responses by loomisjohnson

i own the same unit and posted a favorable review on this site--haven't had a noise problem with mine. i'm sure timlub is right and you can address your issue by switching out the opamp, but it is a $50 dac, so i wonder if it's worth the hassle. why not contact the seller and ask if he'll replace your unit?
dusty, i hope i didn't steer you into a lemon...
i don't know the chinese sellers from adam, but from my experience these hk and china-based ebay electronic sellers are fanatical about positive feedback and customer service--they're really working to develop a market here (the main reason, i suspect, that they're selling real quality stuff for virtually nothin). i'd be surprised if you couldn't work 'em for a replacement--let us know.
best,
lj
More to discover