Most overrated bands

What are some examples of seriously overrated bands? My candidates are

1. Led Zeppelin
2. Velvet Underground
3. U2
4. Ramones
5. The Who
defiantboomerang
Anyone who doesn’t like the Beatles either listened to them too much or not enough.

Great post, Bill (whart). In the early 2000’s, Dave Alvin (The Blasters and solo) said in an interview that he never "got" Brian Wilson or The Beach Boys, but that he just recently had an epiphany regarding him. I found that funny, as after having become obsessed with Brian upon hearing the Smiley Smile album in 1967 (merely liking The Beach Boys before that, owning all the albums up through 64’s All Summer Long), I found myself finally satiated with his music, now more interested in other styles of music and artists, primarily Americana in Pop and Baroque in Classical.

There was a thread a couple of months ago here on Audiogon, in which a younger poster described Brian in terms that revealed he knew him only in terms of the early (1962-4) Beach Boys "Surf, cars, and girls" material. Many people share that perception of him, though it is his Pet Sounds (1966) onward work that is most revered by hardcore BW fans, including Paul McCartney. But some of Brian’s early songs---"In My Room", "Don’t Worry Baby", "I Get Around", etc. are timeless classics.

Time is a true test of the quality of music. There is a whole new generation of young songwriters/singers who have discovered the Dylan & The Band Basement Tapes, and are making music in it’s spirit. The material in the those 1967 Basement Tape recordings is leading them back to so much original American music, just as the Blues being made by British bands in 64-68 lead my generation back to the original creators of the music, at least those who managed to get recorded in the 30’s, 40’s, and 50’s.

I didn't say I don't like the Beatle's,   I answered this thread,  they are overrated.
The Beatles are overrated by today's standards, and following the flow during their time. In some ways they where innovators and due to their influence at the time, it seems as if they were THE innovators (of the given changes in the music scene.

Decent performers, early examples of studio rats, combined with good minds and a good creative mix, tied to market penetration at the time.

Somebody had to peak in that window and potentials in market position, and they did. They produced well known memorable works.
<soma70> Thanks for that. I'll check it out now that I've finally got a digital radio. Still limited to FM in my car, ridiculously difficult to change CD/Radios in a Honda hatchback.

If on the PC then its boxing channels on YouTube, Analogue Planet, Daily Audiophile, Bombards Body Language, Steve Hoffmans music forum. Don't listen to music on PC, too much fan noise etc.

Anyone opening for Dylan would do well to do a few covers! Richest musical vein in music. Don't mention Adele. Anyone could have had a hit with that.