Micromega M 100 Why no love for this compact wonder.

We put out a Micromega M100 a few months back. We are now really listening to this little jewel. 

We replaced the Devialet D130 with the Micromega M 100 and find that there is a wonderful quality of sheer musicality and involvement with the Micromega that we weren't getting with the Devialet.

There have been positive mentions in Stereophile, Audiostream and others. What I find so weird is how no one on the forums is talking about this piece. I have seen full page ads on the Micromega, why I am wondering why people aren't  paying attention. 

The M 100 has pretty much every major feature under the sun, DSD playback, Phono, Streaming, Headphone playback, 100 watts A/B amplification, Roon compatible, Analog and digital inputs. 

The price is reasonable, $4,500.00 for a component that can replace, an integrated amp, a dac, a streamer, and a phono stage. The M100 is also sexy and compact. So why no love?

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor
128x128audiotroy

Showing 1 response by frazeur1

Troy, a few things maybe, unfortunately, yes reviews do have a way of swaying(?) a lot of folks minds, always have, probably always will. Sometimes no review is better than a crappy one in the wrong persons hand or ears, although not many bad reviews anymore it seems.

Also, while Micromega has done a lot better with regard to dealer support and presence here in the US, that hasn't always been the case, and sometimes lack of support can be a huge deal breaker. Get me once, won't get me twice. As I said, I think that support is much better these days.

I own an all-in-one myself too, won't Naim Naims, hah, but with the brand, I know I have solid support and a very good history of upgrading, hardware/firmware etc. Hard to say how Micromega will do long term. My basic unit has been around since 2010, still going strong. Yes, new Uniti series is on the way, but for a digital product, 7-8 years is pretty darn good.

And lastly for now, it is a digital product in one box. As others have mentioned, there still is that audiophile mentality-right or wrong, that individual boxes are "better". Not to mention being able to upgrade certain parts if/when the technology changes or improves.

Personally, I like the looks of the Micromega unit, and maybe if I hadn't purchased my Uniti long ago, I might have given it a go. I would say though, you are just going to have to do your best to "sell" the unit to people that are on the fence. Most die-hard audiophiles won't necessarily be your target here in general. Hopefully, if the unit really is a great piece and sounds great, it will help sell itself. FWIW.

PS-I am on your side in that there really is an awful lot to like in products like these, and for me I have to say that I do not feel short changed in any way when it has come to sound quality by "downsizing" to what many here would call a "lifestyle" product. To me it makes great music, simple and less fuss!