Melco N100 vs Sonore opticalrendu

Hi

I am currently using a laptop connected to my dac (denafrips terminator) and would like to upgrade my source. 

Being new to this, would like to ask for experience between melco N100 (paired with a plixir linear power supply) and sonore opticalrendu, as I have heard good things about both. 

Which would be better? And would I need to get a music server for the sonore? (To prevent the jitter/noise from my laptop to still dirty the stream going into the sonore?) 

Aiming for a larger and more relaxed soundstage, with darker background. Other benefits eg sweeter and softer mids, better imaging are of course appreciated :)

Thanks!

Regards
Ben
thegreenman
I have 2 opticalRendu’s with LPS.

I use a cheap DELL server to run ROON. My Rendu’s are ROON READY, including my microRendu (I have 3 DACs).

I use this Network Switch with fibre ($200).
Switch PoE 8 (150W) – Ubiquiti Inc.

I connect the 2 fibre outputs of the switch to the Sonore OpticalRendu’s using the Sonore SystemOptic accessories (cable, SPF etc).

I also have a PoweLine addition to to my home network and my music server is connected to that via Ethernent. I will argue that the fibre just before my DAC KILLS all the noise. There must be a ton of noise before my fibre wire. I think the fibre is the magic bullet and that is why this setup sounds so amazing.

hi @yyzsantabarbara 

thanks for sharing!

So does the noise/jitter from the dell server matter at all? Can I use a NAS drive with like synology to store my music and the opticalrendu to stream tidal/qobuz?

Or do I still need to get a proper music server to store and stream the music?

Thanks
Ben
Well what I am saying and doing might be considered hearsay by many people with great music servers. I just do not see the need for it given what I am hearing.

Do some more reading on the fibre which for me saved me a ton of money.

The noise from the DELL server, power suppliers, etc ,,, is in the network and the DAC is on the network too. So this noise can and will get to the DAC unless the fibre is used. Now I have no measurements to confirm this other than my ears comparing the microRendu (Ethernet to USB) to my opticalRendu (fibre to USB).

An argument can be made that USB is not the best DAC input connection, but it works for me and a lot of DAC manufacturers recommend it.
@yyzsantabarbara 

Thanks for the clarification! :) yepp will definitely do more reading. What LPS are you using with the opticalrendu? The bundled one from sonore?

I've never heard the Melco but I did purchase an opticalRendu just to compare it against my EtherRegen (Fiber input on A, 1.5m CAT8 on B) into my Bricasti M5.

I use the SPDIF output on the M5 to my DAC and prefer the sound quality of that interface over the USB output of the M5 and the opticalRendu (relative to my DAC only though...).  I thought the opticalRendu was competitive with the USB output of the M5, but in the end sold it since for me it didn't match what I already had with SPDIF.

Value wise the opticalRendu seemed very good based on my results being the EtherRegen/M5 combo is significantly more.  Is the USB input on your DAC your favorite or at least competitive with the DAC's other inputs, and do your want to pay for the convenience of being able to choose the best one?

A relatively cheap way to add fiber and then an Ethernet streamer that supports multiple interfaces is to add a Startech MCM1110MMLC; I've actually sold my EtherRegen and switched to this along with a relatively cheap power supply for it and if I could hear the difference in my system between this and the EtherRegen it was small and I've been very happy with this feeding my M5.
I got both the most expensive one and the cheaper one. I really cannot tell the difference.
@ddafoe 

thanks for your input! ooh interesting! probably your bricasti M5 has already very good noise reduction built in that's why it fared better than the opticalrendu!

Hi thanks for your suggestion on the startech! Sorry I'm quite blur when it comes to tech stuff, so you plug the ethernet cable from your router into the startech, and with SFP ports it comes out as fibre? then after a fibre cable you buy another startech and convert it back to a ethernet cable and plug into the bricasti? 

Thanks!
Regards
Ben
@yyzsantabarbara 

Hahaha ooh naise! now I know what to get if I go the opticalrendu pathway! :)

Thanks!
When it comes to streamers, you will find such varied responses from everyone that in the end it would be impossible to make an informed decision based on online feedback alone. I think Small Green Computers has a return policy on the opticalRendu. Best thing is to buy one and try it out in your system.

If you're interested check out the review from 13th Note Hifi where he compares several low-to-mid-priced streamers. Spoiler Alert: opticalRendu is the winner!

For sure your computer by far the dirtiest part ofyour system ,you need a dedicated server 

small green computers Sonore , you want usb module from computer 

the i9 is great fiber optic , then usb out  with a good power supply  They have a nice $600 one that can do several voltages at once ,

pot Teddy pardo ,shipping from Canada , the only hassle is shipping around $70

unless you spend $1500 for a few power supplies then it’s free , quality products.