Mcintosh MA6600 vs Luxman 507u

Speakers are Sonus Faber GP Domus.
List price is comparable. I heard the MA6600-very nice although a hair thin on mid range detail. Anyone have 507u knowledge?
bodiezaffa

Showing 2 responses by sebastienl

On my side, I've just sold my Luxman L-505u to go higher in the range of Luxman class A.

I you are a vinyl lover, the phono stage of the Luxman is excellent and will accomode both MM and MC. Plus, the tone control buttons are precise.

It is incredible the reserve of power I had with my L-505u. I never past the 9 o'clock on the volume knob even for high volume listening. The sound of the amplifier is natural, coherent, massive and dynamic. Bass are sublime.

I also heard a L-509u at Montreal's last SSI. I found the same characteristics as the family with a better sense of refinement.
Concerning the "4 o'clock" position on the volume knob, I think that we are talking that the knob is lower than 9 o'clock (8,7 or 6 o'clock, if your amplifier's knob goes there).

I can tell you that the Luxman gain/knob were enjoyable to use. They go smoothly and the sound is superb even at low volume. I must say that the speakers are there for something. I have a pair of Harbeth SHL5 which excels even at low volume.

Plus, there is the "bass phenomenon". You lost bass when the volume is lower. Luxman and Macintosh will both be great for this since they have their tone control. In my opinion, they are a plus on every amplifier. You can also use them for room correction.