Mastersound Compact 845 with Pvsane 845T

I own a Mastersound Compact 845 and Mastersound PH5 Pre Amp and orderd two Pvsane 845 T Valves.I was advised by the valve supplier that they would work ok as they were the top of 845 range of valves.I was then advised by my dealer that a mod had to be done to the Cathode Resistor on the Compact 845 to take account of the voltage increase.Otherwise the uit could in the future fail.Any body out there using the 845 T in the compact without modification to the resistor should be aware of this .Any comments welcome
patal

Showing 2 responses by jkuc

“…845-T is a drop-in replacement for 845A and 845B, but it is not a clear improvement over 845A, while 845B generally is….”
I can’t believe that someone having an amp of such a caliber could write this. The information is misleading and not true.
I’ll start from the beginning.
I’ve been using Mastersound 845 for three years, power tubes Shuguang 845B. I lost two of them in that period, one after 6 months and another one after two years (was plying 1200-1300 hours a year). After having done my homework I’ve decided to try Psvane 845T MkII. The difference between 845B and Psvane 845T is obvious, no need to do ABA listening tests, it’s obvious and instantly audible.
The thirst thing you notice immediately , Psvane is a cleaner sounding tube, less noise.
Psvane 845T MkII has much better HF extension and is a better resolving tube. You get better detail across the whole frequency range. There is more low level detail, soundstage has more “air”, more ambience info. Images are more precisely drawn within the soundstage, localization of instruments more stable. 845B images are a bit vague in comparison. Overall Psvane 845T has better clarity, better transparency and slightly improved dynamics.
If that’s not an improvement then what is?
I’ve been using Mastersound 845 for three years, power tubes Shuguang 845B. I lost two of them in that period, one after 6 months and another one after two years (was plying 1200-1300 hours a year). Recently I've replaced 845B tubes with Psvane 845T mkII. The difference between 845B and Psvane 845T is obvious and instantly audible.
The thirst thing you hear Psvane is a cleaner sounding tube, less noise.
Psvane 845T MkII has much better HF extension and is a better resolving tube. You get better detail across the whole frequency spectrum. There is more low level detail, soundstage has more “air”, more ambience info. Images are more precisely drawn within the soundstage, localization of instruments more stable. 845B images are a bit vague in comparison. Overall Psvane 845T has better clarity, better transparency and slightly improved dynamics.