Marantz DV8400 vs Pioneer DV-59avi

any opinions?

which performs better as a 'CD transport'?
eandylee
Mchd1
The 9500 exceeds the performance of the 8400 considerably and the 59avi as well since they were both the same transport. They had the 12/108 v-chip and the 9500 has the 14/216 and it is clearly(no pun) better. The color and depth of the picture (panasonic 34"HDTV widscreen)is much more than I was used to. I also had a chance to watch the new McIntosh MVP861 and felt the marantz outperforms it as well. And I love Mcintosh. I haven't had a chance to listen to the 861 on SACD yet but I would not replace the 9500 as a DVD source.
Theo: What did you think of the Marantz 9500 vs. the Pioneer Elite 59avi in terms of video performance? I am looking for a DVD player primarily for video use and am considering these two players. Thanks.
I owned a DV8300 which I compared to the 59avi and the SACD sound was better on the marantz. Then I traded to the 8400 and now the 9500. I never really tried redbook on either since I already had a Linn Ikemi for that format. I do own a Elite PDR19 that I occasionaly listen to redbook on and the Pioneer Legato Link has a very warm and analog sound to it and they use that in the 59avi. I would say that if you are looking for the redbook playback as a primary feature of purchase then I would lean toward the Pioneer. As far as the SACD I felt the 59avi was dry, the video section in the Marantz 83/8400 is supplied by Pionner to Marantz. Marantz has built and designed their own for the 9500.