Magnepan's new LRS?

A brief blurb in Stereophile online (by Herb Reichert reporting from AXPONA 2019) gave accolades to Magnepan's new LRS. The local authorized dealer is not carrying it for unclear reasons (at least, the decision to not offer that model wasn't explained to me when I asked directly about it). Have any Forum readers had an opportunity to audition these and, if so, what's your opinion?
Thanks,Keith
kacomess

Showing 6 responses by gammonit_2000

I've had a pair for a few days now.  I did a review on Steve's channel and also OCD guy.  Tube preamp CJPV10B Mullard NOS, Muse 150 monoblocks, Rega P3/bias 2, HK CDR20, DH Labs air matrix, DH Labs Q10, two (2) REL T5i subs set at 60 hz. 

I'd recommend you buy before delivery is 8-10 weeks.
While I haven't heard the .7, at 2x the price and the 1.7i at 3x the price of the LRS is a big difference.  I did try to get the local Magnepan dealer to get the LRS but they weren't even interested in listening to my pair vs. their 1.7i.  Probably afraid to lol.  In fact they didn't even have a clue Magnepan had come out with the LRS.  Not exactly a vote of confidence. 

Frankly I don't see myself spending 6k to upgrade to the 3.7i but you never know.  How much better is the "true ribbon"? 
Pearl it isn't x3.  Oh well they don't want those 1.7i customers buying the LRS.  I can't blame them really.
So, I should waste my time driving to their store then if I can't hear the gear there?  To talk to somebody who hasn't a clue and doesn't want to?  Their marketing by selling direct is a strange one but that's OK with me I will pay 1/2 price and avoid traffic and stuffy stores with snobby ignoramuses.  Meanwhile Eric at Magnepan is super nice, super knowledgeable, and super helpful.  No brainer.
pryso I understand and I agree with you.  I was in sales for many years.  This and other reasons as mentioned is probably why brick and mortar is in trouble.  Having said that, try harder!  The LRS situation is a bit odd and I really don't know how the MMG was sold but with this as a replacement it seems some dealers won't carry it and others will? 
pryso and Richard, not to try to pick on Pearl Audio who seem like nice enough folks and who have been very good with me on the phone, I think these are two different marketing strategies with sell direct vs. the dealers.  I literally offered to bring in my new LRS to Pearl and let them listen to them vs. the .7 and maybe 1.7i and they turned me down.  That's OK, I didn't want to waste 4 hours if that's their attitude on that one.  Personally I think Magnepan should be selling systems directly to people and cut out the middle man completely on these LRS.  Give Bryston and REL a call and hook it up.  DH Labs call Greg for cables and wires.  Too much fluff with these dealers already whining they can't make any money but are basically lazy.  OK I guess I did pick on them so be it.