Magnepan 3.7i with two (2) DWMs with Pass Labs XA100.5

I recently upgraded by speaker cables between my Pass Labs XA100.5 and Magnepan 3.7i and a pair of DWMs. I've tried connecting the DWMs both in parallel and in series (using the DWMs crossovers).  I moved from Kimber 12TC to Audience Au24 SE.  This change added more detail and transparency.

Interesting when running in parallel (i.e., the 3.7i and DWM each connected directly to one of the XA100.5's two connections), the XA100.5 quickly left A-class.

Having the each cable around and given the nature of the DWM, I tried running the system both parallel and in series on the same system.  In other words, I was using all four sides of the two DWMs.  I wouldn't say that the XA100.5 couldn't handle it (opinion welcome, read on), but it was quickly out of A-class.  The meter would swing back and forth.  The interesting thing, is that I lost the Pass Labs sparkle.  Bass was very powerful and could be felt.  Yet it was almost muddy for the loss of a better word. Was the loss of mid-range magic, the XA100.5 running out of steam?
tgonzales

Showing 3 responses by bluesy41

What size is your listening room? As I have a 18x21x12 room and also purchased the DWM panels but found with my setup it sounds better without the base modules. Mine you I use a tube amp with 195wpc.
@tgonzales

What are you using to drive the Maggies? I have a similar size room and a pair of 20.7’s that I recently upgraded from 3.7i’s and I didn’t need a sub then nor do I need one now. And get this I’m currently driving them with 95wpc tubes. I honestly believe it’s in your speaker placement. I suffered through lifeless music with my 3.7i’s for almost a year and then I read the manual and dialed in the placement and got immediate gains. To the point that I’m either going to sell or trade the DWM modules. I also replaced my ARC solid state mono-block amps 600wpc in 4ohm with PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP amps. A Wall of Glorious Sound!
@tgonzales 

Play with the placement and I’m certain you will see the 3.7’s go to an another level of deph and dynamics. Also make sure if you have the tweeter on the inside that the panel is closer to your listening chair then the tweeter. The tweeter must be further away from you for maximum imaging and openness. As I’m sure you are aware Maggie’s are finicky when it comes or placement but once you get them dialed in the rewards are incredible. Happy listening and cheers