Magnepan 1.7 crossover capacitor improvement?

In my never ending quest to eliminate "glare" from all components I've recently realized that my MG 1.7's are a contributor. The crossover caps in them are nothing to write home about, a mixture of non descript caps including an Axon totaling 116.8uf in the mid range and an additional 10uf Axon for the tweeter. Since Axon is basically Solens which does have glare issues, I'm ready to move on. After snooping aroud it sounds like a mixture of Clarity ESA series/ 250V + Mundorf supreme replacements in the mid range and Mundorf Supreme for the tweeter would be a good choice. But i'm curious if someone here has already trod this path and found a different path thats reasonably affordable ( not Duelends and Vcaps...grin)
At this point I have glare about 95% tamed but there are still certain CD passages that cause that chalk board scraping sensation.
128x128davide256

Showing 4 responses by davide256

the virtual system "return on the dollar" is mine and up to date. Speaker placement is 3-4 feet away from back wall, but reversed since the magnets on the front panel create a Fresnel lens effect limiting off axis imaging.
After mulling it over, the large capacitance value for the midrange and up makes it pretty hard to find an affordable option that also fits in the allowed footprint. There are basically 4 caps; 6,8uf, 10uf ,25uf and 75uf. The 10uf (GC ?) and 25uf(Axon)look pretty respectable in construction, the other 2 (Erse and no name)look suspect.
So I'm taking a first stab by replacing the 6.8 Erse with a Mundorf Supreme and the 75uf value with an Axon, ordered today and hopefully in my hands by end of month. If this isn't satisfactory I may have to consider creating/wiring an outboard crossover as the better caps want more space than is possible with the stock configuration.
Taking the socks off a 1.7 is pretty easy

1) use a rubber mallet to tap the side insert bars from the bottom up an inch or two. gently rap the bar exposed to make it pop out of the grove, once started it pops out easily.

2) remove the foot stands

3) the hard work is removing the 2 x 25 or some odd double row of staples on the bottom... be gentle to avoid unnecessary fabric tear

4) remove the 4 screws holding the speaker termination. You should now be able to slide the grill cloth over the terminals and above the crossover location to avoid accidental damage when soldering.

Agree on cap break in time. I'll start with the 6.8uf Mundorfs first and give it about 30 days
ok, couldn't wait. I started with the 75uf Axons, they gave better mid bass clarity. Percussion like tympani and blocks have improved realism for transients and tone color. But after a few days not much else was different and I move on to the 6.8 Mundorf Supremes. Here a worthwhile change, richer tone color in the mids and smoother male vocals. Letting that bake, still some edge in the highs so will be replacing the super tweeter 10uf Axon in the next week with a Clarity cap 250V ESA model to see if that sweetens the highs.

If anyone knows of an affordable copper foil 1.4mh inductor
out there, please give a shout in this thread? Looking for something preferably at $100 or less, under 3.5 inches in diameter.Really curious to see how a quality inductor could affect bass reproduction.
johnk, here's two freebies, work that mouse and you might learn something new. Some assembly required... laventures opinions are tested in far more depth than humbhomemadehifi but theres only a minor overlap for opinion comparison

http://www.laventure.net/tourist/caps.htm

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

meantime, I'm happy listening to recordings that before my changes were boring lead performances with diffident accompanists now improved to an equality of musical detail from all players... the surest sign of success with any audio change is when it makes you pull out old recordings and smile because you hear a depth of detail you couldn't hear before.