Mac C220 vs. Cary Audio SLP 98P

I am thinking of selling my Mac C220 to purchase a Cary Audio SLP 98P. I have read and heard nothing but good things about the Cary and what a difference the addition of it has made in some systems. I must stay in the $4000.00 range and wonder if anyone has had the opportunity to hear these wonderful tube preamps, side by side? I have nothing bad to say about my Mac, I am just another obsessive compulsive hi-fi wacko and an looking for a change after about 4 years. Any observations will be welcome.
Jerry
birdmanpa
I used to own the Cary 98P. It drove my Mac 2102's easily.
Great sounding pre amp and in the tube like category Met mentioned. I preferred by a long shot to the VTL 7.5.

I was not impressed by the MM phono stage thou. I thought compared to the line stage a bit grainy and thin.

I would go for the line stage and buy a seperate phono.

cheers
Thanks Downunder. Fortunately, then, I already have an EAR834P, since I am using low OP carts and am very satisfied with the sound. I did like the MM phono stage on the Mac.
The Cary's phono stage is better than the Mac's, at least on the C2200 that I had. But I have a seperate phono pre now also, since I have a LO cartridge as well.

The VTL is a sweet preamp, but much more expensive. In that price range I would move to the higher end Cary SLP-05 or the ARC Ref3 (sorry, I don't like the new Ref5 as well).