Mac 402 vs 6900

Has anyone compared those two? Is 402 faster and gives more slam then MA 6900 integrated? I have 6900 powering Thiels 2.3 and I wish it could be more snappy and crystaline. The bass does not kick so much also.
thx
bunkeromantik

Showing 2 responses by hassel

I recently upgraded from a McIntosh MA6500 integrated, which sonically is close enough to a MA 6900, to a C200 preamp-MC402 amp-combination. Speakers are Shahinian Diapason, very power-hungry speakers if they are to show their best. For a couple of months i ran the C200 to the power amp-section of the MA6500 power amp section. Last to arrive was the MC402, and I can assure you the difference was not only noticable, but huge - especially as far as bass control was concerned. in addition, you'll get a huger, better defined soundstage, even better voices, more air around voices and instruments, and other improvements. Having said that, I'd like to add that the difference after changing the preamp was at least even more significant than of the power amp.
I only compared the C200 to the C2200, the C42 and the preamp-section of my MA6500. The C200 was the best of all, in all regards. It sounded as tube-like natural as the C2200, but had more authority, more drive, better bass than the C2200 when it came to dynamic pop-music (Eminem)and large orchestral music. The difference was noticable, but small, if you think that the C2200 costs 4500 $, and the C200 7000 $. I bought it because I had the possibility to get a model that was only used for a few months, with a large discount.