MA352 into Power Guard

I recently bought a McIntosh MA352 integrated amp. It's teamed together with Monitor Audio Silver 500's and a Rega Jupiter. The system is set-up in a dedicated 300 sq' music room. I typically don't drive the amp much past 30% on the digital readout but the other day I was showing it off to a friend and ramped it up to 49%. During a rock CD playback, the lights under the tubes flashed for a second from green to orange indicating the built in Power Guard was activated. This happened twice before I got to the remote to lower the output. I understand what occurred. My question here is why? The MA Silvers are 8Ω  and rated up to 250W. The MA352 is 200W. I'm not an electrical engineer but a life long audiophile and I understand enough to assume all the parts here are within compatible range. However, I don't understand why I can't drive this amp further without the PG feature kicking in to prevent clipping. Any thoughts as to what's going on are appreciated.
axspike
Are you hooked up to the 8 ohm tap or 4 ohm? Is the 352 rated at 8 and 4 ohms which I'm sure it is?  Have you contacted McIntosh or a dealer?  Single or bi-wire? Are you using the jumpers on the speaker binding posts? Just asking questions  :)
It is rated for both.
The speaker output lugs are marked for both 4Ω and 8Ω, so non discretionary.
I have contacted both the dealer and McIntosh. They say they're "working on it". That was weeks ago and no news from either.
Single wire with jumpers.
I hope this helps.

Hello,
Haven't bought the MA352 yet and your experience with clipping is causing me to hesitate, obviously. How have things been going for you lately with this issue?
Thanks,
David